Crashing, memory full?

Reaction score
I just bought a G3 blue and White tower second hand and everytime I turn it on it's getting to the main screen with all the icons along the bottom (this is my first mac) then it is either crashing back to a blue screen then coming back to main screen or coming up with a message telling me I need to restart or it's going on to a black screen and asking for a login and password? It keeps varying between the 3, I want to wipe everything off and start fresh but have no idea how or how to stop it crashing? Please help!

Reaction score
to do a clean install, you need either the original disks that came with the computer, or a retail version of whichever compatible OS.

Insert CD and restart/boot up holding down C (if I remember correctly) follow the instructions/choices until finished :)

BUT somebody may actually know how to solve your problem without needing a clean install?

OP
K
Reaction score
thank you, I guess I'm going to have to go hunting for a cd , is it like windows where you need a code and everything? Sorry if that a silly question but totally new to macs :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac OS X install CDs and DVDs do not have a serial number or activation product code. You will need to determine the original OS on the machine and purchase the correct disk to do a clean install. That machine is rather old so you may wind up having to purchase a retail disk from eBay.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
hi, i've got a disk from a friend and i'm trying to press c while starting up but it just seems to be starting up normally, also tried holding option and this wont work, i dont suppose their are any other suggestions to make it detect the cd?
thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi, i've got a disk from a friend and i'm trying to press c while starting up but it just seems to be starting up normally, also tried holding option and this wont work, i dont suppose their are any other suggestions to make it detect the cd?
thanks

You can't just borrow a disc from a friend for both legal and technical reasons.

If it's a gray disc, it won't work. They are tailored to the machine they were sold with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks

First: What version of the Mac operating system is currently on your computer?

Second: You said that you got a "disk from a friend". What version of the operating system is it?

Third: This disk from your friend may not work with your computer.

Forth: Using a "disk from a friend" is not legal!

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't get into the computer to find out what os is on there but I think from looking online I think it would be 10.3 if it's the original os the disk i have says 10.9, where would I be able to get a disk for my os?

Oh and it's not going to home screen now it's taking me to a login screen with a username and asking for a password

OP
K
Reaction score
Haha sorry it says 10.5 on the cd, not what I said, friend was Reading it out to me and I must have misheard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Don't use your friend's DVD.

2. Leopard will not install on any G3.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's odd since 10.6 was just released today!

Although if the "OP" did have an OS 10.9 install disk...it would be darn interesting to see what features we would be getting to look forward to!!!;D

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
haha yeh, mind even if i did have that disk we still wouldn't know because this mac's not having any of it :p
i've managed to get to a password login screen now and the shop have said i can take it back for a technician to look at it so fingers crossed they'll be able to sort it out for me

OP
K
Reaction score
i dont know if anyone is still lookign at this thread but i have bought the proper disks now, but i cant get the mac to boot from disk, i've tried holding down all the keys that are suggested but nothing seems to work :( any advice?
thanks
Kat

Reaction score
Are you shure you have a retail disc. 10.2 is white with a jaguar X on it. There should be install disc one and two. You need the disc in the machine. The little white button on the front with the triangle on it is the restart. Restart the machine hold down the C key before the chime do not let it up until you see the boot window. You can just reinstall or use the drive utility on the disc to reformat the drive all will be removed and lay down a clean OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac, 2 eMacs, G4 400 MHz AGP 10.4.11 OS PPC (The workhorse) and a Dell laptop
I have had this problem in the past with similar computer, if I hold the Command (button with the apple on it) and the C key on start up sometimes this works. You could also try to put in a new/used hard drive and use your system discs to make it work (as long as the HD is blank). Then you can daisy chain the old HD to reformat so your system can use that HD or the new to you one which ever is larger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.