to PDA or not to PDA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
need something to keep track of appointments and stuff. you know, a portable iCal and stuff. iono.. just something mac friendly.

TIA,

EY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i am not for sure but i think that Palm is setup to work with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I believe that Palm quit supporting Macs last year (at least for their new products). There are still some third party solutions for syncing though.

You might consider a series 60 smartphone (nokia makes a bunch, like the 3650 or 6600) -- has all the pda apps and I beleive can sync natively with ical.

http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

OP
EYPUFF
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
been looking at the Palm Tungsten E. not sure if anyone has used it or not. hopefully it'll work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've had a Palm Tungsten E for a little over a year now, after many years with other Palm models. A couple of points to consider:

1. The Palm Desktop program for Macs is very different from the PC version: it's really lousy. I only use it because I dislike Apple's iCal and Address even more. Maybe this will change with Tiger. (The Windows version is much easier to use and far more attractive.)

2. If you use the Palm Desktop program, do not download the iSync conduit. It will cause your Palm to sync with iCal and Address only, and you won't be able to edit addresses or calendar entries in Palm Desktop. If you don't use the Desktop, I am not sure what happens to your other Palm databases (Notes, To-Dos, etc.).

3. Support: I have had a couple run-ins with Palm Support which have led me to decide that I will not buy another Palm product once my Tungsten dies. Read about it here and here. (The problems were never resolved by Palm-- I took care of it myself with the retailer.)

H

h0tk4rl

fearlessfreap24 said:
i am not for sure but i think that Palm is setup to work with a Mac.

dan828 said:
I believe that Palm quit supporting Macs last year (at least for their new products). There are still some third party solutions for syncing though.

Not sure where you guys got your info but I have a G5 and a Palm T5 and haven't had any problems syncing. Setup was easy and all the features are supported even drive mode.

-jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
h0tk4rl said:
Not sure where you guys got your info but I have a G5 and a Palm T5 and haven't had any problems syncing. Setup was easy and all the features are supported even drive mode.

-jay

The anouncement last year was that Palm wasn't going to support Mac to sync with the new versions of their OS.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6547

Which after looking around, I guess they haven't released any devices with this new OS as of yet, and maybe won't have any until 2006. Anyways, this means any current devices should work. Also, note in the article that third party developers say that they will make syncing software for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have an HP iPAQ 2215 and it works pretty well with my Mac. I havn't set it up much with syncing, I'll soon purchase, the missing sync, but, I have found that I was able to easily connect with Bluetooth and share files between the PPC and my Powerbook. Note: I don't really use my iPAQ for e-mail or calendar, its more of a mobile file viewer for me, and also a mobile internet station, when i don't want to lug around my beloved PB.

W

warrenbert

Indeed, why PDA at all? I have a Blackberry that serves me well as a phone, organizer, calendar, addressbook and central email on the go.

PocketMac for Blackberry syncs my address book and calendar with my PowerMac. I just leave all my emails on my mail server so that all of my devices will receive a copy of every email.

PDAs are pretty-much dead. Sales have been declining every quarter while smart phones are on the rise. I wouldn't buy a PDA unless I was seriously trying to limit my budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.