Restoring email from Time Machine

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Help!! I am restoring my boss's iMac after a hard drive crash. Got everything back via Time Machine, with the exception of 90,000 emails. I have been searching online for a solution - I start Mail then Time Machine, the mail is displayed, with the instructions to click restore to restore the selected mailboxes, but the Restore button in Time Machine seems to be permanently disabled.

Thanks in advance for guidance here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Your approach is the right one ..... have done it a couple of times myself and it works.

Once you restored mail from Time Machine you will see a folder on the left window pane in Mail that says " Time Machine " with a subfolder called " Recovered Messages ".
Your recovered mails will be in here.

When you enter Time Machine and select the date to restore from, give Time Machine some time to correctly locate the mails you want. I found that it sometimes takes a minute for the " Restore " button to become active.
( I am doing this wireless, hence the delay ..... I guess )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
E

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Thanks for your reply. After my initial post, we manually copied all the mailboxes from Time Machine and put them in the users/library/mail... directory (path was correct, my memory is poor). Also copied the Mail.Accounts.plist from Time Machine to Mac Hard Drive/Library/Mail/Account Types/com.apple../

Now, all new mail is accessible through the Mail app, but everything we copied, although in the mailbox, cannot be seen...?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.