Using a stereo as speakers for MacBook

Reaction score
I am trying to use my stereo system as speakers for my MacBook. I am using an adaptor which is a male headphone plug on one end and male rca on the other end. This setup worked on my Dell PC, but when I try it on my MacBook, the sound continues to play from the MacBook and nothing comes out of the stereo speakers. Any idea of what the problem might be?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am trying to use my stereo system as speakers for my MacBook. I am using an adaptor which is a male headphone plug on one end and male rca on the other end. This setup worked on my Dell PC, but when I try it on my MacBook, the sound continues to play from the MacBook and nothing comes out of the stereo speakers. Any idea of what the problem might be?

Go to your sound preferences & click on the "output" tab...you may have a box to "check" to output sound to an external device.

Path: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sound > Output Tab

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I just tried that and it gave me a list of output options, however, the only option I had was internal speakers. There was no where for me to select external speakers. What should I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried that and it gave me a list of output options, however, the only option I had was internal speakers. There was no where for me to select external speakers. What should I do?

Did you do this while your laptop was connected to the stereo?

Some options may only appear if you're actually connected.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
While on the subject I have an external USB sound card. I presume it will detect this? my old iMac did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
While on the subject I have an external USB sound card. I presume it will detect this? my old iMac did.

Should do as long as it's compatible. I have an M-audio interface (although its firewire) and it was detected straight away.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.