Switch to Mac Pro

Reaction score
Dear All,

Having switched my wife’s laptop for an Imac last year I am now considering switching my desktop to a mac pro. I love using the imac and have just finished my first dvd using imovie and idvd (family video for grandparents). The process was so smooth and convinced me to go down the mac route for myself.

However I have some concerns and would be very grateful if someone could help answer them. I will put them in bullet points for ease:-

1. I have a cable modem from Virgin (UK) connected to a linksys wireless router and from there by cable to my PC by Ethernet cable. Will I be able to have the same set up with the mac pro?

2. I have a 24inch display from HP. It has DVI, VGA and HDMI inputs. Will I be able to use this with the mac pro?

3. I am a photographer and the above screen is calibrated for colour using an eye one. Will I be able to calibrate the screen when connected to a mac pro?

4. As I said I am a photographer and currently have 4 external hard drives (3 usb2 and 1 Fire wire) connected to my PC. Will I be able to just unplug from the PC and replug into the mac pro and see my files?

5. I have an iphone and extensive itunes library. Is it possible to switch these across to the mac pro without problems and loss of data?

I think that is all my major questions and concerns for now. As I said any help appreciated.

Best regards

Josh

Reaction score
1. I have a cable modem from Virgin (UK) connected to a linksys wireless router and from there by cable to my PC by Ethernet cable. Will I be able to have the same set up with the mac pro?

Should do. you might need to dig up some password or other, and you can always connect wirelessly too, if it takes your fancy.

2. I have a 24inch display from HP. It has DVI, VGA and HDMI inputs. Will I be able to use this with the mac pro?

Yes. Make sure you pick the right converter: there should be options to add this to your order if you buy from apple online.

3. I am a photographer and the above screen is calibrated for colour using an eye one. Will I be able to calibrate the screen when connected to a mac pro?

Yes, though I'm not sure you'll be able to use "eye one", whatever that is.

4. As I said I am a photographer and currently have 4 external hard drives (3 usb2 and 1 Fire wire) connected to my PC. Will I be able to just unplug from the PC and replug into the mac pro and see my files?

From what I understand, you will be able to READ files, but not write or edit (this is due to differing formats) Assuming you're using Vista.
If you use XP on a FAT filing system, I think it has writing capability too :)

5. I have an iphone and extensive itunes library. Is it possible to switch these across to the mac pro without problems and loss of data?

Yes. Turning on hidden files will allow you to copy all media directly from your iPod (I assume it's the same for iPhone), though if you have protected media, you'll have to authorise your computer, and you'll have to check up how to show hidden files - a google search should help you with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
5) IMPORTANT Do an export data via iTunes and you wont loose anything.

DO NOT, presume plugging your iPod in will transfer all thats on it, iTunes will simply ask to format the device and not transfer if your using iTunes from a Windows machine.

From an iMac I don't think it will format and can transfer but don't hold me to it. just do above!

Reaction score
that's not what I meant :p

I meant ignore iTunes, show hidden files, and then use finder to copy it all across, or to open it all in iTunes (making sure it will copy to organised folders :) )

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks all,

Much appreciated. I have just been speaking to someone at the Apple store in London. He is suggesting a 2.93 quad core mac pro over a 2.26 dual quad core. The quad core has 6gb of ram and a 4870 card. Any thoughts?

thanks

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
If I were you, I would save the 500 bucks it cost of upgrading to the 2.93ghz quad core and just stay at the 2.66ghz quad core. Stay with 6 gb of ram. The 4870 should be fine for you since you aren't doing any gaming but still would be nice for it. 640GB hard drive should be enough for you since you already stated that you have external hard drives. Given the specs of the system I outlined it should be more then enough for you. I say stick with 6gb of ram since snow leopard is coming out so you can have the extra memory when needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
If I were you, I would save the 500 bucks it cost of upgrading to the 2.93ghz quad core and just stay at the 2.66ghz quad core. Stay with 6 gb of ram. The 4870 should be fine for you since you aren't doing any gaming but still would be nice for it. 640GB hard drive should be enough for you since you already stated that you have external hard drives. Given the specs of the system I outlined it should be more then enough for you. I say stick with 6gb of ram since snow leopard is coming out so you can have the extra memory when needed.

Agreed.:D

OP
J
Reaction score
DeAr all

thanks for the help. I have an appt booked at the apple store today. The 2.93 they have comes with wireless card and dual SuperDrives for 2770 pounds. Obviously more expensive than stock in the US but what else is new.

Re the 2.66. I believe the only ones they have in stock come with the gt120 card and 3gb of rAm. If I want one today (and I do since I spent many hours yesterday sorting out all my windows data onto one HD). Then it looks like I need to go for the 2.93?

I am moving from a 2.66 duo windows vista pc so I am hoping for a noticeable speed jump

best regards

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Josh,

Don't rush into it because your eager, I have just made that mistake by ordering a MBP which will arrive tuesday, It will be returned back to Apple as I have also ordered a better MBP with specs I want...

A bit longer to wait but I got what I wanted in the end (the end is next friday or following monday)

Hope you get what your after!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. Just been with the apple store in London. I went for the 2.66 quad core. It had 3gb ram but they agreed to give me the web upgrade price for 6 gb and fitted an extra HD as well. They are fitting the upgrades now while I go for a coffee and maybe a cheeky peice of cake. Oh and they are throwing in snow leopard for free.

Great service and I came out saving a few hundred pounds vs what I was going to spend first thing this morning.

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good service agreed. Well done on the upgrades and the beast of a machine!
We have several at work and they are really good.

Although they didn't throw SL in, it should come with it lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Nice congrats Josh! :)

That will be one heck of a speed boost going from a 2.66 duo..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
Sounds great!

Having switched from Windows to Mac last Christmas, the biggest pain was iTunes. If I could do one thing differently with the conversion, it would have been to purchase one of the iTunes export/conversion software packages.

The standard method does not convert play counts, play lists, and the like. I found a work around for play lists but is is so slow and highly manual, I only did it for a few of my really favorite lists. Essentially, I had to start over even though I had all the songs. A year later, no big deal. The first month? Big deal...

I can't recommend a particular software but know that if I were to give one recommendation, it would be to find one that specifically converts play counts and play lists for you automatically.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the advice all. Just been with the apple store in London. I went for the 2.66 quad core. It had 3gb ram but they agreed to give me the web upgrade price for 6 gb and fitted an extra HD as well. They are fitting the upgrades now while I go for a coffee and maybe a cheeky peice of cake. Oh and they are throwing in snow leopard for free.

Great service and I came out saving a few hundred pounds vs what I was going to spend first thing this morning.

Josh

Congratulations Josh on your computer choice. Sounds like a real nice setup & it sounds like you're getting a decent deal on it.

Have fun...ooh, how was the cake!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey josh, I am glad that you got the computer you liked! And also that they did some of that stuff for you as well. Just shows how well Apple is with customer service.

I'm glad that you went with the 2.66ghz quad core because going from 2.66ghz to 2.93ghz is not going to be that much of a difference. Now the MAIN difference you will notice is going from an intel duo core to a quad core. Now you shouldn't have any problems running any programs especially with that 6gb of ram! Thats gunna be a great machine. I'm excited to hear how it does. However, I was wondering what 3d card they ended up putting into that machine? Did you get the 4870? I'm sure if you asked they could have put that card in there for you. Or did you just stick with the gt120? You can always upgrade if it doesn't perform up to your par. I'm unfamiliar with the gt120 but know that the 4870 is a killer graphics card. Only problems my friends have had with it is putting it in crossfire mode aka two 4870's together but that was in a PC....

OP
J
Reaction score
dear all,

thanks for the support and comments. In answer to the questions, I stayed with the Gt120. For the work I do I.e. not games I have an Xbox for that, it should be more than fine.

The cake was a coconut and raspberry cake from starbucks v nice. Bit of a nightmare day. Whilst waiting for the upgrades I received a call from my neighbor saying my house alarm was going off. So out of London we came to check all was okay, it was, and then back in again to pick up the mac, a round trip of 2 hours!

So home now and the mac pro is downstairs in its box and this will be my last post (hopefully) from the PC. I am about to reset the PC to how it left the factory. All my data is on an external drive and I have a number of print outs telling me how to reinstall my lightroom catalogue and my itunes library. So finger crossed that I will see you on the other side.

Best Regards

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhhh yes! You got it. I can't wait to hear back form you. Gunna be a fast machine. I couldn't imagine that speed. Hope the whole transformation from pc to mac goes smoothly. It should.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The cake was a coconut and raspberry cake from starbucks v nice. Bit of a nightmare day. Whilst waiting for the upgrades I received a call from my neighbor saying my house alarm was going off. So out of London we came to check all was okay, it was, and then back in again to pick up the mac, a round trip of 2 hours!

Josh

Glad to hear you got your "new toy" home safely...and you had a great piece of cake!:)

And hey...you had nothing else to do for those 2 hours...driving out of & back into London is so much fun...so scenic & relaxing!!!;D

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.