To big for classes?

Reaction score
So I will be going to university next week and I was thinking, is a 15'' macbook pro to big for note taking during classes? I mean, I understand a 13'' might be better, but is it uncommon to see people with 15'' laptops in such an environment?

Reaction score
not really. Some prefer the 13", but if you want to do some gaming, a bit of intense workout for the CPU, then you might want the 15"s higher specs.

I know *I'm* intending to run my laptop through its paces, which means I'd probably be getting a high spec 15", but if you want to only surf the net and work on Pages, then save yourself the money :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I will be going to university next week and I was thinking, is a 15'' macbook pro to big for note taking during classes? I mean, I understand a 13'' might be better, but is it uncommon to see people with 15'' laptops in such an environment?

WOW...more power to ya!! You must be one heck of a fast typer to take notes while in class on a laptop.

When I was in college...some of the professors spoke so quickly...that I could barely keep up with them writing with a pen...no way could I type that fast in my wildest dreams!!!;D

As to your question...if you were strictly using your computer for taking to class...the 13" would be much better. Different classrooms may have different desktop or table top space...so a smaller laptop would be more flexible without over-crowding you. Especially if you have a class in a packed auditorium type setting.

Good luck with your purchase,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In my opinion, the best option for taking notes has always been and always will be a pen and paper.
WOW...more power to ya!! You must be one heck of a fast typer to take notes while in class on a laptop.
I went back to school a couple of years ago.
From my experience, observing the younger students "taking notes" on their computers equated to: MySpace, Facebook, WoW, AIM, Digg....etc.

Essentially anything BUT taking notes.

Many of the professors had a "computers closed" rule in the classroom.
Unless you actually needed to use it for research and/or doing one of the class exercises, it was supposed to be shut, closed, in your bag and on the floor.

I remember how the kiddies hated that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion, the best option for taking notes has always been and always will be a pen and paper.
I went back to school a couple of years ago.
From my experience, observing the younger students "taking notes" on their computers equated to: MySpace, Facebook, WoW, AIM, Digg....etc.

Essentially anything BUT taking notes.

Many of the professors had a "computers closed" rule in the classroom.
Unless you actually needed to use it for research and/or doing one of the class exercises, it was supposed to be shut, closed, in your bag and on the floor.

I remember how the kiddies hated that.

Yeah...I sort of figured that computing while in class was probably less about note taking, and more about other non-note taking activities.

I agree...pen & paper is better for note taking. Note taking isn't just about writing. Sometimes you're drawing diagrams, writing formulas in math & science classes...or just drawing arrows & such to help you remember things. And you certainly cannot do this on computers in a timely fashion while in class.

I can't imagine the difficulty professors have controlling non-academic type activities in the classroom...with cellphones, texting, PDA's, computers, etc.

Thanks for the updated classroom perspective!

- Nick

Reaction score
though you could just let voice recorder record and worry abotu the notes later? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I can type orders of magnitudes faster than I could write (yes, I said could; while I am still literate in the reading department I have completely forgotten how to write cursive with the exception of my signature, and even then it's dicey.) Back when I was in college we didn't have computers so written notes were the norm, and in my case all uppercase block print.

I know I would be able to take notes typing on a laptop much more effectively than writing and I know this because 16 years ago I took a temp job that involved me transcribing a meeting. Kept up with nearly everything that was said, thus a lecture would be a walk in the park.

If I envisioned myself taking notes and going class to class, the perfect solution would be what I'm typing this on - a 13" Macbook Pro. Sure, the 15" is almost as portable, but the 13" is such that I think nothing to detach it and tote it with me if I'm going outside for a break.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.