Transfer directly from camera to hardrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the digital photography section or here... made more sense to put it here to me.

I'm going on a trip to Israel/Egypt/Jordan in November/December and plan to be shooting a lot of photos in RAW on my DSLR. I only have a 2gb card, but I also have a 360gb portable HD. I want to avoid taking my laptop to save on travel insurance but I'll obviously need to be taking photos off my camera fairly regularly.

Is there some kind of device or something I can buy that will transfer my photos from my CF card onto my HD (FAT-32 formatted, if that's relevant...) without the need for a computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yeah, there are specific hard drive based camera friendly devices for just this kind of thing, some even have viewers built in.

Have a look at this link, to give you some ideas.

Top Digital Photo Storage Devices

BTW. I'll in Egypt in November too, sunning myself by the Red Sea.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. I'm thinking something that does the transferring but not the storing, since I already have a HD to use. For the prices those things are going for, I could buy a 7" laptop!

I managed to find something along the lines of what I'm thinking of but I'm not sure if it'll work - Hi Speed USB 2.0 Portable Digital Partner & Photo Bank - eBay Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 20-Sep-09 16:56:13 AEST)
It says I need a 2.5" SATA Harddrive from 10gb to 160gb. The HD I have is 360gb and portable... would it really make that much of a difference if it's just transferring files? Or is this irrelevant and the USB Interface is the one that I should be looking at?

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That looks just the job. Adaptors are easy to get anyway,no problems with power there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.