Network Accessible Storage With (Firewire Drive / iMac / Macbook Pro)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, so forgive me if I am asking questions that have been answered. I have searched but can't find anything specific to my needs.

Essentially what I am wanting to do is setup my iMac 20" 2.66 (running leopard) as a server with an external firewire 800 drive. I have a standard wireless d-link adls/router. I also have a Macbook Pro 17" running tiger, and want to be able to easily access this firewire drive as NAS.

Currently I have it setup at the moment so both computers can talk to each other, but I always have to connect to the iMac everytime I restart the Macbook Pro.

Is there a way to setup the firewire drive on the iMac effectively as a network drive (NAS) that the Macbook Pro can use and access easily? I'm aware it may be a little slow due to the wireless router. I really want to run this firewire drive as a master network drive to eliminate file duplication on both machines.

I hope all that makes sense, If anyone can shed any light, It would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Essentially what you want to do is add the drive connected to the iMac as a login item. To do this execute the following:

Goto SystemPreferences->Accounts

You will see your user account, click the Login Items tab. You will be presented with a screen that will allow you to add the drive. At the bottom you will see a + symbol, click this and navigate to the drive you want.

Note, you will have to have the drive mounted and connected for this to work the first time. Once you have completed this you can close the window. Now when you login, the drive should automatically show up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.