Macbook Crack

EFS

Reaction score
This is a picture of my white Early 2008 Santa Rosa MacBook that has been babied its entire life. Never dropped or handled roughly. Tonight, I noticed a long hairline crack in the left side of the case below the palm rest. Can anyone tell me if it is anything to worry about? I don't have Apple Care, so I don't see a point in taking it in.

Thanks in Advance

-Eric

PS: IF anyone cares the image was taken on the new iPhone 3GS which I believe has a camera with a better sensor.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 36

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No Apple care? Take it on in as it's a known problem. Apple might repair it for you anyway. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have the same type crack in the same place. I just never taken it in. It is a known problem like chscag stated though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I've got a bit of a crack on the left side and a really tiny one on the left side. At this point, I don't think it warrants a trip in to the Apple Store. I hate having to go all the way up to Emeryville for stuff!

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
I have the same type crack in the same place. I just never taken it in. It is a known problem like chscag stated though.

How long has it been cracked? So, what your all saying is that I'm ok and there really isn't that much of a point to take it in?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How long has it been cracked? So, what your all saying is that I'm ok and there really isn't that much of a point to take it in?

Same thing happened to my MB. It started as small hair line cracks. I had them on edge of both sides of the palm rest. The left one didn't get any bigger.

For some reason the right side started to get bigger and started to chip. At that point you can't really ignore that. >_>"

Sent it to and it was fixed in 45 minutes. I consider that pretty quick since the apple store that I go to is always jam packed.

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. When I got home today I put on my old plastic shell for my macbook (the one incase makes). I'm hoping that will protect it from getting any larger or developing more cracks, but for now, I'm not going to bother taking the long journey to the Apple Store. If anyone has anything else to add please keep posting!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It has been cracked for a while already. It is simply cosmetic and isn't in the way. You can keep it like that or take it to the Apple Store. It just depends on you and if you really want to get it fixed. It does not bother me so I have not taken it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me, they're really tiny, so I won't worry about it yet. If it becomes fairly noticeable I might take it in.

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
It has been cracked for a while already. It is simply cosmetic and isn't in the way. You can keep it like that or take it to the Apple Store. It just depends on you and if you really want to get it fixed. It does not bother me so I have not taken it in.

Thanks man. I'm not worried about now that I know its just a cosmetic thing. Thanks for the info!

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
Well thanks everyone. I hope you are all excited for the release of Snow Leopard tomorrow! I can't wait until the FedEx guy knocks on the door!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
Well thanks everyone. I hope you are all excited for the release of Snow Leopard tomorrow! I can't wait until the FedEx guy knocks on the door!

what if they dont know, what if they ring the door bell instead:Evil:

Reaction score
design flaw

Every single person that I know who has a white macbook has cracks. I've replaced mine once already,only to have more reappear... It is basically a design flaw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh! I feel stupid now! I've recommended these machines to like EVERYBODY!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.