Cracked screen & repair - good deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
This afternoon I stupidly dropped my MB and cracked the screen pretty badly. I took it to Apple without Apple Care and they were going to charge me $750! They then recommended I take it to Micro Computers, where I left it for repair for only $179 with 2-4 weeks reapir time.

I was just wondering if this was a good deal or not?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not bad at all. The screen will probably run around $80 retail. $100 for the labor is not bad at all.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it have been cheaper/faster if I bought the replacement screen off eBay and just gave it to the store to fix? Or would they still have to send it off?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Would it have been cheaper/faster if I bought the replacement screen off eBay and just gave it to the store to fix? Or would they still have to send it off?

Possibly, but repair places typically frown on that sort of thing.

Reaction score
It probably would have been cheaper to buy the part yourself first, and than they might just charge labor. I work in a shop, and we charge for the cost of the part + 35% and shipping, plus labor of course. But all in all, 179 for labor and the screen is probably a good deal, assuming they are using a screen with the same specs as the MBP, they be using a cheap one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
buy the part yourself, express shipping (1-2 days), under $100 depends on where you buy it and what brand, fix it yourself instead of 2-4 weeks.

after watching a vid on how to change the logo, i really dont think its a hard job but thats me..

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a glossy screen. I pray they replace it with another glossy.

I called to see the status of the repair. Turns out they waited five days after I brought it in to ship it to the screen people (had to run diagnostics). It was shipped to them on Aug. 31. Any chance I might get this back by September 12? Do these places honor rush deliveries if I pay extra for it?

Need it for a DJ gig :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
you should have fixed it yourself, no wait on someone else, if the unit works why are they running other test?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you should have fixed it yourself, no wait on someone else, if the unit works why are they running other test?

Testing it for liability purposes, I suppose.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Called yesterday: Micro Center understood my dilemma and called the place they sent it to -- what I now know as On Call -- and left them a voice mail about it. Has anyone heard of On Call? Odd they wouldn't have a representative available at 2:00 in the afternoon? Anyway, I'm now just waiting on a call back from Micro Center who's waiting on a call from On Call.

Called back today: Ugh, spoke with a different person. He said there's "no way they could rush deliver it" because On Call, who's fixing the actual MacBook, has to run diagnostics and wait on getting the part.

Has anyone had experience with this situation in which they've actually "hurried up" your order? It was shipped to them on 9/1. Do they really not have the replacement screen there even though they're an Apple repair shop?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.