installing OS on new HD

Reaction score
So the hard drive went out and i have bought a new one and i have an updated os installer disk. I need so help on what to do to get my computer running again. step by step if possible. thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Install the drive. Insert System Disc 1 (or your retail OS X disc), turn the machine back off and back on again. Press and hold the 'C' key until the Apple logo appears. Once it boots to the Installer screen, open Disk Utility from the Tools menu, select the hard drive in the left window pane, click the Partition tab and Choose '1 partition'. This should format and prep the drive. Make sure you name it Macintosh HD. When finished, quit Disk Utility and proceed through the installation process. The rest is self-explanatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if by 'updated installer disc' the OP means a systems upgrade disc?

To do as cwa107 describes your disc needs to be either a full retail version of OS X (black disc) or the silver grey coloured system restore disc which came with the G5.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have put the drive in and hooked it up is there something special i have to do to install the drive because its not booting up with the os install disk in.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have the grey restore disk 1 and 2 but they are from a different computer computer

There's you're problem. The gray System Discs are machine-specific. If you don't have your original discs, you'll need to either purchase a replacement set (contact Apple for details) or purchase the retail version of OS X.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Really? i definitely cant afford that.

thank you so for all the responses

Yes unfortunately that's what you got to do. Unfortunately...computers can be expensive to maintain sometimes.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know guys we URGENTLY need a big flashing sign out the front of the shop advising system discs will work only on the machine they came with.

And a 'I have read this and agree' note similar to that with new software installs!

OP
P
Reaction score
Haha yeah understandably. If i get snow leopard there wont be any problems installing that on a older computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard will not install on a PowerMac, only on an Intel machine. Leopard OS X.5 will only install on a machine with an 867MHz processor, or faster. All G5's will handle Leopard nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok . So whats the newest os i can get for it, and where?

Leopard is the newest, and last, OS and you can get it at the Apple store, about US$129.00, or used on eBay etc. Make sure you get the retail version, and not an upgrade or model specific version. With Snow Leopard out tomorrow, reckon there will even be some Leopard install DVDs on sale here in the Mac forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our pleasure pancakes and keep coming back eh?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know guys we URGENTLY need a big flashing sign out the front of the shop advising system discs will work only on the machine they came with.

And a 'I have read this and agree' note similar to that with new software installs!

I completely agree Harry!!! I can't believe all of the threads with folks trying to use grey/silver install disks on computers that the disks weren't meant for.

But then...how many new users to the site are actually reading the "Stickies" before posting!!!;D

- Nick

p.s. I know that folks are buying these grey disks because they are cheaper than retail disks.

But you know the saying...If it's too good to be true, it probably is!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
p.s. I know that folks are buying these grey disks because they are cheaper than retail disks.

I would venture to say that the majority are borrowing discs from other Mac users. That's probably why Apple tailors them to specific models.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would venture to say that the majority are borrowing discs from other Mac users. That's probably why Apple tailors them to specific models.

True very true!:(

I was trying to give folks the benefit of the doubt...that they were actually buying install disks with the proper intentions...even though they didn't realize that the grey disks wouldn't work.

But what you said is very true...a lot of that going on...probably a majority like you mentioned!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.