How to upgrade from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Hi everyone I'm not too familiar with upgrading software as this is my first mac. I have a 1st generation Macbook Pro still running OS X 10.4.11. I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade but have no idea what I need. Can anyone help me out real quick? Thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It depends what you want to do...do you want to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard or Snow Leopard 10.6.

If 10.6 (and since you currently have 10.4.11 on your computer)...you would want to purchase the "Mac Box Set" currently available for pre-order for $169.

One word of warning...you will want to make sure that all of the software (applications) you use are compatible with OS 10.6. Otherwise, maybe you should upgrade to 10.5 "Leopard"...which costs $129 at the Apple Store.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Ok thanks for your reply. I'm kinda strapped for cash right now so I guess I'll hold off for now...

Reaction score
I also have a few questions concerning this so i thought it would be appropriate to post here.
My question is if you are upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.6, which i plan to do, will there be an archive and install or will i only be able to do a clean install or whatever. Also i was wondering if archive and install would be a good choice upgrading from tiger or if it would be better just to keep what i want on backup and do a clean install

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a few questions concerning this so i thought it would be appropriate to post here.
My question is if you are upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.6, which i plan to do, will there be an archive and install or will i only be able to do a clean install or whatever. Also i was wondering if archive and install would be a good choice upgrading from tiger or if it would be better just to keep what i want on backup and do a clean install

I believe the "archive & install" option has been part of almost all OS 10 upgrades...so I would have no reason to believe it wouldn't be part of 10.6.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe the "archive & install" option has been part of almost all OS 10 upgrades...so I would have no reason to believe it wouldn't be part of 10.6.

- Nick

According to Engadget, the Archive and Install option has been removed, however they infer that is indeed what is going on behind the scenes now when a standard upgrade is performed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to Engadget, the Archive and Install option has been removed, however they infer that is indeed what is going on behind the scenes now when a standard upgrade is performed.

Very interesting.

I wonder if this only applies to the $29.00 upgrade option...since technically (to be confirmed tomorrow)...the $29 disk is most likely only an upgrade...so there would be no "old system" to "archive"...because the current system is just being "patched/upgraded".

As opposed to the 10.6 "Mac Box Set"...which most likely (to be confirmed tomorrow) contains the full install of 10.6. I would be very surprised if the "archive & install" option was removed from this product.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting.

I wonder if this only applies to the $29.00 upgrade option...since technically (to be confirmed tomorrow)...the $29 disk is most likely only an upgrade...so there would be no "old system" to "archive"...because the current system is just being "patched/upgraded".

As opposed to the 10.6 "Mac Box Set"...which most likely (to be confirmed tomorrow) contains the full install of 10.6. I would be very surprised if the "archive & install" option was removed from this product.

- Nick

According to all the sources I've seen, the $29 disk is a full install and will work with Tiger. Whether it is advisable to do this for both legal and technical reasons is a question that remains unanswered at this time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to all the sources I've seen, the $29 disk is a full install and will work with Tiger. Whether it is advisable to do this for both legal and technical reasons is a question that remains unanswered at this time.

WHOA!!! That would be a BIG surprise to me if the $29 upgrade disk was a full install!!!

Why the heck would OS 10.4 users want to buy the $169 Mac Box Set...when they could get a full install of 10.6 for $29 bucks (and I seriously doubt that it would be to get iLife & iWork 09)?

I would be very very pleasantly surprised if the $29 upgrade disk is a full install...unless it contains some sort of "sub-program" that looks for a copy of 10.5 on the hard drive before installing...which a 10.4 computer wouldn't pass the check.

We shall see,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHOA!!! That would be a BIG surprise to me if the $29 upgrade disk was a full install!!!

Why the heck would OS 10.4 users want to buy the $169 Mac Box Set...when they could get a full install of 10.6 for $29 bucks (and I seriously doubt that it would be to get iLife & iWork 09)?

I would be very very pleasantly surprised if the $29 upgrade disk is a full install...unless it contains some sort of "sub-program" that looks for a copy of 10.5 on the hard drive before installing...which a 10.4 computer wouldn't pass the check.

We shall see,

- Nick

Check out Walt Mossberg's review.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out Walt Mossberg's review.

Ok, so I read the "engadget" review by Joshua Topolsky.

And the significant statement in the review relating to the install disks was:

"If you're still on Tiger, well, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to drop $130 on what's essentially a spit-shined Leopard,"

I then read the "All Things Digital" article (part of the Wall Street Journal "family") written by Walt Mossberg, and as you know he says:

"...for owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a “boxed set” that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Walt Mossberg's statement seems pretty darn straight-forward...but then the "engadget" review seems to contradict. Unless "engadget" is just playing it safe by not letting the "cat out of the bag" and upsetting Apple!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The big question is whether the licensing agreement included with the $30 set allows you to install it on a Mac without Leopard.

There are always cheap ways to do things if you're willing to lie, cheat, and steal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It depends what you want to do...do you want to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard or Snow Leopard 10.6.

If 10.6 (and since you currently have 10.4.11 on your computer)...you would want to purchase the "Mac Box Set" currently available for pre-order for $169.

Well, yeah, if you want the new versions of iLife and iWork as well. However, many sources are reporting that the $29 upgrade disc will install without having Leopard pre-installed, so if you have Tiger, that works. Check out the discussion over at Apple Insider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
According to many sources you can indeed just get the Snow Leopard upgrade and it will work with 10.4.

Apple is advertising Snow Leopard as a $30 upgrade “for Leopard users.” If you’re upgrading from Tiger, Apple advises you to purchase the full Mac Box Set for $170. However, there don’t appear to be technical reasons preventing a Tiger-to-Snow Leopard upgrade.

Wired.com was able to confirm that the Snow Leopard upgrade can be installed on a machine running Tiger. Of course, the transition isn’t guaranteed to be as smooth as it would be from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and that’s because some older, Tiger-only third-party applications need to be upgraded to newer versions that work with Leopard or Snow Leopard.
6 Things You Need to Know About Mac OS X Snow Leopard | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

But if this is true or not best wait till it's released and see.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
many sources are reporting that the $29 upgrade disc will install without having Leopard pre-installed, so if you have Tiger, that works. Check out the discussion over at Apple Insider.

If you look two posts up from yours...you will see that I already covered that very detail...with quotes & links.;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I have 10.4.11 and just tried. The DVD will not boot and just shuts down the hard drives and then you get a grey "no" sign, requiring you to hold the power button down on the computer to restart it. Mounting the disc and clicking install presents a restart button. Pressing it only restarts back to the main hard drive you were previously booted up on.

Reaction score
Upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.5

I'm still running 10.4.11 on a MacBookPro. Recently I've been having issues with Safari to the point where it won't even come up. I downloaded an Apple supplied Safari software upgrade, thinking that would solve the problem. But, now, applications like: yahoo messenger, Google Earth, and my TurboTax won't come up. My question is, if I do the upgrade to 10.5, can I reasonably expect that whatever is hanging in these apps will be cleared up??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Whoa! Way to pull up an old thread. Using Search, eh? That's good, but this is one of the first threads on the subject of Snow Leopard, before most of us knew the real scoop!

I'd say you should try to get to the bottom of the problem before adding or changing any software. You might want to start your own thread dedicated to your problem(s). Please use a descriptive title, like "After Safari upgrade, several apps won't open"

Are you sure you upgraded to the Tiger version of Safari? There are separate ones for Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.