Can you guys help me assess my needs and give me some info about upgrades?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a longtime PC user getting ready to buy a MacBook Pro 13.3" laptop.

I am trying to decide between the 2.26Ghz model and the 2.54Ghz model.

I am a Realtor and will use the MacBook for business. I run MS Office, use the internet, upload photos to the internet and retouch them sometimes, burn CDs, every once and a while I might play a game or watch a movie when traveling. I may at some point run Windows with Paralells.

I might wind up hooking up a monitor and using it as my primary computer if I can't bear to use Windows after getting used to the Mac :D . I use my primary home computer the same way as the laptop.

My guess is I won't notice the difference between the 2.26Ghz and the 2.54Ghz, would you guys agree?

If I bought the 2.26 I would probably upgrade the RAM to 4GB and I would like to upgrade the hard drive also for the possibility of partitioning it for Paralells. I have special corporate pricing but MacMall is still cheaper due mostly to the fact that I wouldn't have to pay tax. If I let MacMall make the upgrades it does away with much of the cost savings.

How easy is it really for someone without a whole lot of experience to upgrade the RAM and the HDD? I've upgraded RAM myself before on PC laptops, but the access looks harder on the Mac, and I've never replaced an HDD...

Cheapest dollarwise is to buy the base 13.3" from MacMall and make the upgrades myself...

Thanks in advance guys!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah I found those videos...looks super easy...I think I can do that...

Quick question, what does doing that upgrade do to the Warranty? Anything?

Any thoughts on the processor speed?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The processor speed is inconsequential. The biggest difference is in the memory (DDR3 memory is still somewhat pricey) and the hard drive size. If you're OK with upgrading those yourself (and it's really not complicated), I think you can save quite a bit of money over what Apple charges for those upgrades.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You won't notice, and it won't void the warranty if you upgrade the RAM.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
M
Reaction score
Thats what I figured, thanks for the insight guys.

Crunching the numbers it looks like I can buy ram from Crucial for $84.79 shipped, and a Seagate 250GB 7200RPM HDD for $63.98, so when you crunch the numbers it really doesn't save all that much by installing the RAM and HDD myself...however I wind up with a faster hard drive out of the deal and I save $60 or so. Sounds like an adventure to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Thats what I did. I installed a 500GB hard drive (Due to not ever wanting to upgrade or touch my internal hard drive again!) not only because of space but because of speed. I got the seagate 500GB momentus 7200rpm.

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

I love it. It is really nice. Follow the install guide and everything will be a breeze. Just make sure that you have all proper tools to do it. (unlike me I didn't see that you need a t6 torx screwdriver so make sure you have all tools) It is easy and now I have a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive. Next is doing a memory upgrade.

Found this
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

Its for crucial memory and its 72.99 with free shipping! Hope that helps. Once I get the memory I will have a fast machine! Can't wait. Then cs4 will not be so intensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.