G5 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
so the other day i decided to try mac and see what they had to offer, i got on craigslist and bought a power mac g5. i remember a buddy of mine had one in college and it looked sexy. i put 2 gigs of "apple certified" ram in it, a 320 gig wd hard drive, and a 6200 gcard. the machine was very clean on the inside. i installed leopard as soon as i had all my components in the case. it worked fine for about a day and started getting black places on the desktop and would eventually freeze completely up. i researched a little and found that someone had the same problem and replaced the hard drive, so i reinstalled on a 80 gig hard drive. it worked for about an hour and then started crashing agian. i am not experienced with mac at all, so im a bit lost with hardware and the software. id love to give mac a good chance before i chunk it out the window and give up on it for the rest of my life. i have always been a fan of intel and windows because of the power you had over your computer. i have uploaded a few pictures to show exactly what is going on. only once did i get the error message that shows in the picture.

082d4092328.jpg

d_0824092338a.jpg

08240d92338.jpg

i forgot to mention that it started with 10.5 so i downloaded the update and now am running 10.5.8 and that did nothing to help. the funny thing is that it will run fine while installing software. and will not start to mess up untill i start playing with random windows. if it is sitting there idle, it will stay fine all day long. unless it goes into sleep mode, or comes out of sleep mode.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Best guess - graphics card issue

OP
P
Reaction score
why does it say that it has a cpu#1 issue then? pardon my stupidity, i have no experience with macs at all

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It may have multiple issues - the first pic is pretty typical of a video card problem. You might want to consider taking it in and have a diagnostic test run to see if it's worth putting more cash into it or not.

We've got some folks around here with lots more experience than I at Mac hardware. Wait around for some of their input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so the other day i decided to try mac and see what they had to offer, i got on craigslist and bought a power mac g5. i remember a buddy of mine had one in college and it looked sexy. i put 2 gigs of "apple certified" ram in it, a 320 gig wd hard drive, and a 6200 gcard. the machine was very clean on the inside.

First you didn't list all of the specs of your computer...because you didn't list the processor speed, if it has a single or dual processors, and what sort of expansion card bus it has.

These things will help identify exactly what model Powermac G5 you have...since there were about 14 different Powermac G5 models...and this will help to figure out if the "6200" graphics card is compatible with a Powermac G5.

My question to you is...did this computer work ok before you made all of the changes (ram, hard drive, video card)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
My question to you is...did this computer work ok before you made all of the changes (ram, hard drive, video card)?

This is the real key. From the stack trace I would guess RAM and since you just installed a fresh 2Gigs I would start here. Since the problem is easy to reproduce I would try putting the old memory back in, or start removing sticks in balanced pairs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the Specs on the G5? That might help a bit. Any hardware can fail and get errors.

OP
P
Reaction score
ok, my bad. one the case it reads: 2ghz-dp/pci-x/1024/160gb hd/dvd-r/cdrw/r9600pro/mdm/kybd+mouse/mac os x

it did not have ram, hdd, or a gcard when i got it. i dont have any spare ddr1 laying around to try in it as all the other systems have ddr2 in them. the guy i bought it from claims it worked, and he sold all the rest of the components because nobody wanted to pay for shipping. it has a sony "superdrive" in it, i will try to boot with out it installed and see if that has anything to do with it. i installed with a copy of leopard that was single layer, i couldnt install any of the extras that they had to offer. just bought a dual layer dvd burner and i will try reinstalling with a fresh .dmg file. anyone have spare ram that i could use for testing? or a spare gcard? i can send it back or pay for it either way. just super cheap please!

and if you hadnt got that it is agp 8x pro it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, my bad. one the case it reads: 2ghz-dp/pci-x/1024/160gb hd/dvd-r/cdrw/r9600pro/mdm/kybd+mouse/mac os x

it did not have ram, hdd, or a gcard when i got it.

Great job with the specs. that was exactly the info that was needed!:) And good job letting us know that the computer did not come with ram, a hard drive, or a video card.

Let's be positive, and assume the previous owner was telling the truth that the computer works.

Since you installed ram, hard drive, and video card...the hard drive is most likely not causing the problems. You said that the ram was "Apple Certified"...so let's for now assume the problems aren't the ram.

That of course leaves only one thing...the video card. It's a good possibility that the video card is the problem...either it is faulty in some way or not compatible.

If you look at the specs you listed above...this computer came with a Radeon 9600 Pro video card. So this would be a good card to get to be the most compatible. I also looked to get any info on the "6200" video card you used..and I couldn't find any reference that it was used in a G5 Powermac.

So I would say the first thing you should do is get a video card appropriate for this computer...and the Radeon 9600 Pro would be a good choice.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
this gcard was suposed to be flashed to work with apple. i bought it off ebay and cant get any help from the seller. i was thinking about trying to trade it back for a 9600. but i cant stand ati, iv always liked nvidia better. or is ati the top card with apple machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
ATI are okay. They issue software updates from time to time ~ something that nVidia never seem to do. All work well and alas all fail from time to time. Suggest looking for a Mac card as flashing is a bit of a hit and miss affair.

If you purchased through eBay contact the seller and tell him/her of your problems before starting a dispute.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this gcard was suposed to be flashed to work with apple. i bought it off ebay and cant get any help from the seller. i was thinking about trying to trade it back for a 9600. but i cant stand ati, iv always liked nvidia better. or is ati the top card with apple machines?

Yes...I was kind of wondering if you were using a "flashed" card. I couldn't find any Powermac G5's that used the 6200 card.

Flashed video cards are still not always 100% compatible.

Also...yes you said that you don't like ATI...but at this point using a video card that solves your problem is much more important than likes or dislikes.

By the way...as far as the video card...I think that there was a 9600 and a 9600 Pro...so I think either one would work.

Just make sure you get a genuine Macintosh video card, and not a flashed one. It will probably cost more...but that's better than the headaches you have now!;D

Good luck,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

it did not have ram, hdd, or a gcard when i got it. i dont have any spare ddr1 laying around to try in it as all the other systems have ddr2 in them. the guy i bought it from claims it worked, and he sold all the rest of the components because nobody wanted to pay for shipping. it has a sony "superdrive" in it, i will try to boot with out it installed and see if that has anything to do with it. i installed with a copy of leopard that was single layer, i couldnt install any of the extras that they had to offer. just bought a dual layer dvd burner and i will try reinstalling with a fresh .dmg file. anyone have spare ram that i could use for testing? or a spare gcard? i can send it back or pay for it either way. just super cheap please!

and if you hadnt got that it is agp 8x pro it is.

OS X 10.5 is not downloadable and as such would not need to be burned to any type of disc. So, if you are not using a retail disc (PowerMac G5s never came from the factory with 10.5), then you are using a pirated copy.

10.5 is a pay-for upgrade. Since we do not discuss the use of pirated software (or any other illegal activity for that matter), we are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.