Is Apple Airport required if I already have a wireless home network?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to get a Macbook Air soon. I was just wondering if I already have a wireless home network. Do I have to have a Apple Airport to connect to the internet? Is this just something extra to play music wirelessly? Thank You!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums!

The product names may be a bit confusing at first:

1) The MacBook Air (and all Mac portables) come with a built in WiFi card called Airport Extreme, this is the card used to talk with wireless routers.

2) Apple makes two versions of a wireless router the first is called Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS), the second is called TimeCapsule which is really just an AEBS with a built in hard drive used for TimeMachine backups.

3) The Airport Express product basically is a hybrid device that can act as a wireless router or an access point. This product also has the capability to stream music, share a connection etc to a small user base.

If you already have a wireless network with a router, you do not need to buy anything else since the MacBook Air comes with a wireless card built in. You will be all set and ready to go when you get your new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.