The new mac OS snow leopard

Reaction score
I am aware of the new mac operating system snow leopard soon to be available and i am interested in upgrade from my mas osx 10.5. but have one question that i hope smeone will be able to anwser for me and that is, if/when i upgrade will i lose everything on my mac and therefore have to back up everything, or will it be ok?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It will be ok!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It should be fine, but you should make a backup just in case something goes wrong.

T

todd51

More than likely you'll have two different options for the install. Usually there is a "clean" install which will completely wipe your hard drive (you will lose everything unless you backup). Then there is another option where you can upgrade, which leaves your hard drive with all of it's contents, just upgrade the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually OS X has the 3 installation options.

1. Clean install - Wipe your HD and install the new OS fresh.
2. Archive and Install - Puts about 95% of your data into a folder and installs your new OS fresh. Like the above but it keeps your data. But not your system preferences.
3. Standard Install (I forget the name but that's close enough). That over-writes your system data with the new OS data. And leaves everything, preferences included exactly as they were before the installation.

Personally I just use option 3. I've never had any problems in the past. But if you want to make a system/HD backup for be extra safe and extra sure then it's not a bad idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.