Connecting Stereo and Computer speakers to IMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.66GHz
Hello.

I have a new 24" IMac that I want to hook to my stereo along with have computer speakers. The stereo is in the basement. I have a 3.5mm mini splitter to split the signal to 2 sources. My question is can I run my Bose companion speakers from 1 port(analog), and use a Mini to Toslink(digital) from the other port? I know I can plug a mini to toslink directly into the headphone port and then to my stereo for digital sound, but will it send audio to the Bose(analog) and my stereo(digital) simultaneously via a splitter?

I know I can do it via an Airport Express, but I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I have heard they take some work to get working together. Plus if I can do it with a cable it will be cheaper.

Thanks!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.66GHz
Update.

I called Apple and they said it would work. I have not tried it yet, but I will let you know when I do how it sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I doubt this will work. Apple's headphone jack supports both, and I'm not sure of any splitter that will split to both analog and digital signals. You could split to two analog signals, or possible two digital signals, but highly doubt you can split to a both signals.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.66GHz
I went ahead and just hooked it up analog to both. It was way cheaper since I already had the cables. So I do not know it it will work or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.