My first Mac!

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the forums my name is Ricardo, I just purchased my first Macbook. Battery keeps it's charge. I'm having problems with my dvd/cd drive, When I insert a cd or dvd it seems to reject it, it can't go all the way in for some reason, is it possible to change the drive, if so is there some tutorial on how to do it? I tried going under the battery, I found a 80gb hard drive and a stick of ram. I am trying to find some tutorial to teach me how to reach the dvd drive.

I was looking at reinstalling Mac OS X inside it since it has so many crap in it, I know very well how to install a windows OS on PCs but I have never tried installing a Mac OS, how different is it and how can I install it?

My laptop is a A1181, It has 256mb memory 667 mhz ram, and an Intel Core Duo 1.83ghz, 80gb.

1) What is worth this laptop?

2) How do I know if it has a dvd burner included?

3) I hear I could Install Windows on these laptops if they have an Intel Processor (wich I have)

4) Where can I see wich video card I have?

5) Can this laptop handle games like World Of Warcraft?

6) How easy is it for a newbie like me to install Mac OS X?

7) I want more memory, what memory will suit my Laptop and wich one would you recommend? Is there any limit to how much ram it can handle?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Answers to your questions:

1. Why do you want to know what it is worth...you already purchased it...if you paid too much for it...it's too late now. But if you want to know...go to:

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPhone Occasion

2. Go to this website, and look up your model:

Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996

3. Not really a question here...but yes you can install Windows.

4. Apple Menu > About this Mac > then click on "More Info"

5. Maybe...depends on your graphics settings.

6. VERY VERY easy. But your laptop should already have OS X on it.

7. Go to this website, and look up your model. It will tell you what you want to know:

You could purchase the memory here:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Answers to your questions:

[...]

2. Go to this website, and look up your model:

[...]

4. Apple Menu > About this Mac > then click on "More Info"

[...]

6. VERY VERY easy. But your laptop should already have OS X on it.

You could purchase the memory here:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

Hope this helps,

- Nick

TYVM Nick, My More info is greyed out, The reason I want to reinstall Mac OS in it is because it's a gift I'm giving to my girlfriend and I want it as new as possible, I don't want the other owners crap in the laptop. As for question #2 it still doesn't really answer if I have a DVD burner included, can't seem to find the exact same laptop I have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
TYVM Nick, My More info is greyed out, The reason I want to reinstall Mac OS in it is because it's a gift I'm giving to my girlfriend and I want it as new as possible, I don't want the other owners crap in the laptop. As for question #2 it still doesn't really answer if I have a DVD burner included, can't seem to find the exact same laptop I have.

I see...you want to clean this computer up to give to your girlfriend.

That sounds very strange that your "More Info" is greyed out.

Installing OS X is very very easy...just boot from the Mac OS install DVD...and follow the instructions.

As far as what exact model you have. Like I said...go to this website:

There are only 2 MacBook models with a 1.83ghz processor...so it shouldn't be to difficult to figure out which one is yours.

If you're absolutely sure your laptop has a "Core Duo" processor (versus a Core 2 Duo) then this is your computer:

Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 1.83 13" Specs (MacBook - MA254LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.