how do I switch to desktop without exiting the game program

Reaction score
I have just bought a macbook pro 13" and while I have been playing games on it in fullscreen mode I have had to go to my desktop for one reason or another. How do I do this without exiting the program. I know this can be done in windows with the windows key on the keyboard but i do know know how to do this on a mac. Thanks!:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have just bought a macbook pro 13" and while I have been playing games on it in fullscreen mode I have had to go to my desktop for one reason or another. How do I do this without exiting the program. I know this can be done in windows with the windows key on the keyboard but i do know know how to do this on a mac. Thanks!:)

I'm going to say that it depends on the game. Some games run in full screen mode, and others run in a "window". If it only runs in full screen mode...then you have to save & quit the game to get back to the desktop.

Another possibility...some games give you a choice of running in full screen mode or not. You would have to go into the games "options" menu, and then the "graphics or video settings" to either "select/deselect" full screen mode...if that's an available option.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
try the fn key with F11 = exposé show desktop if you haven't changed the default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Command m also works great and to return to fullscreen mode just press that combo again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.