Need to Install 10.5, dont have Admin password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
I need to install 10.5 on a G4 Mac but I dont have "administrator" privileges. I have the retail Leopard Disc but I cant install it. I also dont care about what the computer has, all the data can go (erase and install). Any hints?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need to install 10.5 on a G4 Mac but I dont have "administrator" privileges. I have the retail Leopard Disc but I cant install it. I also dont care about what the computer has, all the data can go (erase and install). Any hints?

You should be able to "boot" from the 10.5 install DVD...and have no installation issues.

I have never been presented with an "Admin" password authentication when installing from a "booted" DVD. When you select which type of install to do are you selecting the "fresh" copy install vs. the "archive current system" install?

- Nick

p.s. I guess I also should ask...why don't you have the Admin password...is this your computer?

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what u mean, Ive used the same disc to install on several macbook pros and it works perfectly fine. When I try to boot it from the desktop it tells me to enter a admin pw. I try to boot from start up using c but no success. Then i hold the option key at startup to select what to boot from and i get a picture that has a lock on the left, password entry bar in the middle, and right arrow on the right

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what u mean, Ive used the same disc to install on several macbook pros and it works perfectly fine. When I try to boot it from the desktop it tells me to enter a admin pw. I try to boot from start up using c but no success. Then i hold the option key at startup to select what to boot from and i get a picture that has a lock on the left, password entry bar in the middle, and right arrow on the right

Hmmm...that sounds strange. But it sounds like you have done this before...so you know what I mean about booting from the DVD & not having any install problems.

I'm not sure what to say. Maybe someone else will "stop in"...and have a suggestion.

Sorry,

- Nick

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im actually running 10.3, sorry but this is the image i get when I hold option at start up
img0072c.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im actually running 10.3, sorry but this is the image i get when I hold option at start up

Interesting...I don't think I've sen that before. I wonder if it's a OS 10.3 thing!

I think that picture should help get an answer.

What happens if when you hold down the "c" key on startup?

- Nick

p.s. Are you sure this computer does not have some sort of "Theft Recovery" software on it!

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I hold down C, it just starts up as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you ever used Firmware Protection Password software on your Mac, as the inability to boot from disc holding down 'C' etc is typical of firmware password protection?

Have a look at this link from Apple and just look at the icon of this software halfway down the page:-

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you ever used Firmware Protection Password software on your Mac, as the inability to boot from disc holding down 'C' etc is typical of firmware password protection?

Have a look at this link from Apple and just look at the icon of this software halfway down the page:-

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

Interesting! But no I wouldn't know about the firmware protection as I picked up this tower at a yard sale for a measly $30. So I took my chances. But obviously with that said, no I don't know any history about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I hold down C, it just starts up as normal.

That's really not the answer I expected. What happens if you boot up the computer with the "c" key pressed...with the Mac OS install CD in the CD drive?

The computer should boot up with the CD...and then you should be able to proceed with the install.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting! But no I wouldn't know about the firmware protection as I picked up this tower at a yard sale for a measly $30. So I took my chances. But obviously with that said, no I don't know any history about it.

If Harry is correct...and your computer has a firmware password on it...you do have two options you could consider:

- you could try entering some very commonly used passwords...trial & error...including no password.
- you could try contacting the folks who had the yard sale...and ask them if they know the password.

- Nick

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Harry is correct...and your computer has a firmware password on it...you do have two options you could consider:

- you could try entering some very commonly used passwords...trial & error...including no password.
- you could try contacting the folks who had the yard sale...and ask them if they know the password.

- Nick

No the computer did not boot holding C.

I did, out of desperation, removed the HDD and put it in an external enclosure and I am cloning it as we speak from my working Aluminum MBP, hoping there isnt any issues. Then with that done, I am hoping to reinstall Leopard.

How does that sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cloning it may well pass the firmware password security onto the MacBook Pro and you still will not know the password lol!

To remove firmware password read the link posted earlier. You de-activate it in OS X.4 and OS X.5 use the install DVD and that is the only way alas! Go to the Application, deselect, erase password etc and close, reboot and all should (fingers AND toes crossed) well.

Please do not tell us you do not have the Tiger OS install DVD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please do not tell us you do not have the Tiger OS install DVD?

The OP said they have the retail Leopard 10.5 install disk in the initial post...so hopefully that is not an issue!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP said they have the retail Leopard 10.5 install disk in the initial post...so hopefully that is not an issue!;D

- Nick

Yes Nick the snag is if the firmware password has been set up under Tiger, guess what?

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no I do not have the tiger disk. So the cloning method didn't work. All I get is the startup screen with the chime and it turns off

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Nick the snag is if the firmware password has been set up under Tiger, guess what?

Ahh...I thought in your earlier post you were suggesting that having either 10.4 or 10.5 retail install disks would be adequate for getting around the firmware password.

Guess I was confused!:Confused:

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no I do not have the tiger disk. So the cloning method didn't work. All I get is the startup screen with the chime and it turns off

If your computer has a firmware password...man a fairly rare & pain in the butt situation.

Other than purchasing the Tiger install disks...you could still try the two suggestions I made earlier:

- you could try entering some very commonly used passwords...using the trial & error method.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.