Serious problem while installing Windows XP

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
this is my first post in this forum as I just bought my brand new mac-mini.
I have a serious problem trying to install genuine Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit using Boot Camp.
I inserted the CD into the mac and I followed the step-by-step instructions provided by the Boot Camp.
I created a 30GB partition which I formated in FAT and started installing Windows. After the files copy progress was done and the mac rebooted I got the classic error message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:...system32\hal.dll.Please re-install a copy of the above file."
I tried to rebuild the file by Start Up Recovery from the Windows CD and fix the boot.ini file but the message is keep displaying.
Now, I can't boot to Mac OS, I can't eject the Windows CD...I can't do nothing.
I tried pressing the mouse button while after turning on the mac to ejet the CD but nothing.
I tried pressing the alt button after turning on the mac to get in the mac os enviroment, still nothing.
The only thing I get is a starting sound and a white screen (whithout the Apple logo, just white) and then the Windows CD starts rolling!
I have spent more than 9 hours trying to find a solution on google but nothing helped.
Please... Help me...

Regards

Note: do I need a mac keyboard or/and mouse to solve the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's first determine whether or not your copy of XP Pro SP2 is compatible.

It has to be either a MS boxed copy full install of XP Pro SP2 or an OEM system builders full install copy of XP Pro SP2.

Note: Volume licensed copies of XP Pro SP2 generally do not work even though they may be legal and a full install.

The error you received points to a problem with the boot loader files and their location as designated in boot.ini. That's unusual especially with a new installation.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it is a MS box CD. It works fine now that I totally removed MAC OS and installed the XP. But this is not a solution. I need to have both OSs in my mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Removing OS X certainly did not help to solve anything. Now you're going to have to start everything over again including reinstalling OS X.

Boot the machine with your original OS X install DVD and select Utilities from the top menu. Select Disk Utility. Erase the disk and format it as one partition using the Mac HFS+ file system. After that is completed, install all your applications. Once everything is back to normal, use Boot Camp again and create a new partition for Windows. Install Windows.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Dear chscag,
I done everything you described in your previous post step-by-step and I solved the problem.
My initial mistake was that when the Windows XP installation showed the "Select Partition to Install Windows", I re-partioned the C:\BOOTCAMP...etc partition to two partitions. This was the issue, according to the Boot Camp Setup Guide. Now, everything works fine.
Thank you for your time and advices.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.