Marks/Scratches on MacBook Screen

Reaction score
hey all, my MacBook has developed scratches/marks on its screen.

they seem to run horizontally exactly where the spacebar/casing is when the MacBook is closed....

what can I do? I have tried cleaning the screen with various products but no joy! will Apple replace/repair?

I have read they probably won't - this seems unfair/mad as it is clearly a design flaw...

any help/advice gratefully received.

all the best, eighy0ne :Oops:

(nb. will post a picture as soon as I have better net connection)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple will probably not repair or replace the display, however, it won't do any harm to take it on in and present your case. Be polite and let them know that you believe it to be the fault of the design and not something you did.

Regards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
as promised....

Hum that's interesting. I've noticed that I did have marks like that as well, but they were imprints of the actual keys of the keyboard. I tried using a micro cloth to get them out but no dice. I'm too scared to use any liquids or any kind of solution on the screen.

Then recently I sent in my MB for repairs. It had cracks on the edge of the palm rest. Where the lid touches the palm rest. Pieces of it were chipping off and I couldn't stand it anymore.

Anyways when I got it back the screen was immaculately clean and the keys are extra bouncy like they were when I first got my MB. >_>" It looks like they replaced the whole bottom of my MB. New keys, trackpad...and the palm rest.

OP
E
Reaction score
scratches/marks

thanks CrimsonRequiem - does anyone know what product Apple might have used to clean the screen? there are a few products out there claiming to buff/polish/fill scratches and marks - not to mention the suggestion of toothpaste! - but I am hesitant as I don't want to make things worse...

OP
E
Reaction score
ok, so I purchased some iKlear which, although it didn't fix the marks/scratches, does seem to be pretty neat solution for all round cleaning.

anyway, so I popped into the Apple store this afternoon and bonza, they've agreed to replace my screen no questions asked - they ordered the parts right there and then! will take it in next week to get the job done.

what's more, they're going to replace the top casing at the same time - it has a couple of impending cracks where the lid closes.

SWEET RESULT

so here's my question - now I have a second chance, what protective product/s should I invest in to stop these problems occurring again? first thing that springs to mind is a protective film for the screen (much like the one I have on my iPhone) - also, what about full body casing? seems a bit excessive - maybe I need a better carry case - I have a sneaky feeling the neoprene sleeve is squashing the unit in transit...

thoughts more than welcome, cheers - eighty0ne

Reaction score
Maybe get a microfibre cloth to cover your keyboard so they keys cant damage the screen when its shut.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion drummerkid - I'll take a look into this although it feels a slightly tedious already just thinking about having to lay out a keyboard cloth every time I close the machine (which is pretty often in my job) - anyone know of a more permanent protection solution? cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually have a similar problem with my 15"uMBP, the keys touch the screen, it's cleanable, but I worry that, if over time, the continuous key on the glass screen would result in scratches/dullness.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I have it. It's a really huge hassle to get it on without air bubbles. Took me a good 3 hours to get the whole thing on.

You need to be careful because there is liquid involved.

It doesn't protect the screen. The full body cover is only the outside case and the palm rest.

The only cons about it is that it will eventually turns yellow because of the heat generated from the notebook, and the amount of time to get it on perfectly.

Reaction score
What I do is, I put the cover that is on the keyboard when you unboxed it on there whenever I have to take it out.

It's simple, but it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.