GPU Performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Ok,

I am still waiting to receive my MBP 15" but now thinking of returning the item when it arrives and buying the next model up of 2.66Ghz with the 9600 GPU.

But seriously will the one I ordered run Photoshop, Aperture, and Final Cut Express with ease?

I wont be gaming, I design websites on photoshop so nothing serious or over 72DPI. and Only going to make small mini clips with Final Cut Express.

Anybody else using the same GPU and doing the above with ease?

If I have ordered the wrong thing I will return it and just get the model up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Well I honestly don't think you'll notice a difference. I do a lot of photoshop work (Take pictures for local bands and also local car meets/shows) and I use my UBMP with the graphics card set to the 9400m. I have had no problems with photoshop it runs like a dream actually. If your willing to pony up the cash you'll see a slight if insignificant improvement. I my opinion I think you should save the money and keep the one you picked up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok,

I am still waiting to receive my MBP 15" but now thinking of returning the item when it arrives and buying the next model up of 2.66Ghz with the 9600 GPU.

I don't have any specific GPU benchmark info. But as you probably know..you cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU in Apple laptops...so once you buy one...you're stuck with what you got.

That next model up with both the 9400M & 9600M GPU's & the 2.66 CPU is a nice setup.

Maybe you know, maybe you don't...the 9400M GPU is supposed to be used when your computing tasks are not super demanding. The 9400M is also a better GPU to use when on battery power, because it uses less energy than the 9600M.

That being said, the 9400M GPU is supposed to still be a pretty darn good GPU. If your computing tasks are even more demanding, then you're supposed to switch to the 9600M.

Honestly, if the 9600M wasn't much better than the 9400M...I really don't think Apple would have put it in a dual GPU laptop!

If you think that you might need some extra GPU performance, and the extra $300 bucks isn't a problem...I say go for it. Plus for the extra $300 you also get a slightly faster CPU, and a bigger hard drive!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Edit: FYI..give this a read in case you haven't seen it.

Apple - MacBook Pro - Graphics - Even faster graphics processing.

Reaction score
@ pigoo3
Are you supposed to switch between gpu's yourself then, like say when I play a game how can I check wich gpu is enabled and wich is disabled?

Thnx:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I have the dedicated GPU and dont notice any difference when switching and using PS CS4, iMovie, etc. However I would expect an increase in performance when playing games [but that is what my PS3 is there for!]

Sur3MAc - you change it yourself in Sys Pref/Energy Saver/ and either higher performance or batt life. You will then need to log out for it to change.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Will I notice a big change in final cut? or photoshop?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I have done some searching high and low on Google, and it appears it will be fine for the occasional final cut pro, less power wasting and less heat from the one I ordered.

Photoshop will be fine and so will Aperture on the 9400. I do have the spare money to get the upgrade, and Apple have confirmed on the phone they will accept the one being delivered Tuesday returned. But I think I will stay with what I ordered for two reasons.

I hate heat.
Its on its way.

Unless somebody proves me wrong before tuesday that I really should get the better GPU I will stick.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and I will ask this on Vimeo.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I think I will stay with what I ordered for two reasons.

I hate heat.
Its on its way.

Unless somebody proves me wrong before tuesday that I really should get the better GPU I will stick.

Well you will only experience the extra heat when using the 9600M.

If you intend on keeping this laptop for a long time...3-5 years...you could also plan for the future.

Applications, games, and the internet get more & more complex all the time. We get threads here on Mac-Forums about people with older computers & older GPU's that can't play videos smoothly on websites like You-Tube...this could certainly apply to future program releases as well...such as CS5 or CS6.

Nobody can reliably predict the future. That 9400M may be fine for your needs today...but 2-3 years from now things may become so complex that you might have to run that 9600M GPU 100% of the time to get the same performance you get out of the 9400M today.

You rarely get the opportunity to have two GPU's in the same laptop (one good & one better). With 2 GPU's...that should certainly extend the useful life of a laptop!

For the extra $300 bucks...you get the 2nd faster/better GPU, a bigger hard drive, and a slightly faster CPU. Of course if that extra $300 bucks really pushes the limit of your budget...than that is totally understandable!

Just wouldn't want you to regret not getting the 2nd GPU 6-12 months from now if your computing needs increase.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have dual GPU's on my MBP and haven't noticed any difference between the two. Granted, I'm no gamer and don't demand much of my laptops in that category. I'm interested to see if 10.6 will make ardent use of the extra GPU power - and if it makes any difference in daily use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have dual GPU's on my MBP and haven't noticed any difference between the two. Granted, I'm no gamer and don't demand much of my laptops in that category. I'm interested to see if 10.6 will make ardent use of the extra GPU power - and if it makes any difference in daily use.

I'm guessing that folks that don't see a difference between the two GPU's may not be doing anything intensive enough to "challenge" the GPU's.

I'm putting a lot of trust in Apple...that it wouldn't make much sense for them to put two GPU's in a laptop (one good, and one better)...if there wasn't a significant performance difference between the two.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SL can utilize the 9400 chip also according to the OpenCL requirements.

I know what your saying with future upgrades but I just am eager to get this MBP, not to mention I will need to beg for the iTouch to be in the new rebate as it wasn't ordered at same time and an Apple rep said they could refuse the rebate (thing is engraved for my g/f so cant return it)

I will stick with it and if things become intense in say a year or so I will either by a Mac Pro or iMac for the home.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Argh!

Ok I have just pushed the submit button on the new MBP 2.66Ghz, with GPU 256Mb.

Why:
I was in denial and didn't want to wait longer, it makes sense to get what I need for future proof.
The money wasn't an issue, the spec was.

So I now have two machines coming my way. and will return the first one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Argh!

Ok I have just pushed the submit button on the new MBP 2.66Ghz, with GPU 256Mb.

Why:
I was in denial and didn't want to wait longer, it makes sense to get what I need for future proof.
The money wasn't an issue, the spec was.

So I now have two machines coming my way. and will return the first one.

Congratulations on getting the more powerful computer!!! Once you get it...I'm sure all of the stress & hassle you're going through right now will be long forgotten..and you will be one happy & proud Macintosh owner!!!;D

Yeah...the whole iPod & engraving situation is a bit of a hassle...but Apple is usually pretty understanding...and it should get sorted out ok.

That dual GPU laptop you're getting is pretty darn nice...enjoy!!!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations on getting the more powerful computer!!! Once you get it...I'm sure all of the stress & hassle you're going through right now will be long forgotten..and you will be one happy & proud Macintosh owner!!!;D

Yeah...the whole iPod & engraving situation is a bit of a hassle...but Apple is usually pretty understanding...and it should get sorted out ok.

That dual GPU laptop you're getting is pretty darn nice...enjoy!!!:)

- Nick

Cheers for the boost, I'm not to worried about return process as I have a contact in Apple from this mornings telephone call to them, I just am waiting again and I'm no good at that :p :p

However the new one is set to next friday or following monday so not much longer to wait.

engraving... I should have got a plain one lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
engraving... I should have got a plain one lol

Well...to be honest...I have never been a big fan of the engraving! I know that it makes the gift extra special...but the problem is what do you do if you want to sell this iPod?

It can be harder to sell a used iPod when on the back it says:

- "I love you Snook-ums!"
- "Sue & Fred Forever"
- "I Love Your Lasagna!"

Ha ha!;D

In any case...enjoy your new equipment!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol Nick,

Just has my girlfriends name on it as I already have a touch.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol Nick,

Just has my girlfriends name on it as I already have a touch.

Yeah I know that the last thing on folks mind when they are buying a new electronic item is selling it. But realistically...how many of us hang onto our electronic items until they are completely used up (at least when it comes to iPods & computers).

More than likely these items are lost, stolen, or sold before they are worn out or worthless.

I'm sure your girlfriend will love it...you might even get lucky!;D

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know that the last thing on folks mind when they are buying a new electronic item is selling it. But realistically...how many of us hang onto our electronic items until they are completely used up (at least when it comes to iPods & computers).

More than likely these items are lost, stolen, or sold before they are worn out or worthless.

I'm sure your girlfriend will love it...you might even get lucky!;D

- Nick

Yeah best get lucky or it will get chucked. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah best get lucky or it will get chucked. :p

VERY NICE!!!

What's getting chucked if you don't get lucky...the iPod or the girlfriend!;D

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.