my ibook wont boot cds

Reaction score
okay here goes the long story . i bought an ibook dual usb 500mhz on ebay , planning on putting linux on it , so when i got it and tried installling linux i would get hardrive errors when the cd booted up and started installing now , i bought another apple hardrive for it on ebay put it in now i cant boot cds i hear it spinning when i hold c but it doesnt boot what should i do please help out here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Frown.png
is there a wire that i could have left up plugged in the computer that would cause it to not boot the cd but spin the cd

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
okay here goes the long story . i bought an ibook dual usb 500mhz on ebay , planning on putting linux on it , so when i got it and tried installling linux i would get hardrive errors when the cd booted up and started installing now , i bought another apple hardrive for it on ebay put it in now i cant boot cds i hear it spinning when i hold c but it doesnt boot what should i do please help out here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Frown.png
is there a wire that i could have left up plugged in the computer that would cause it to not boot the cd but spin the cd

I'm kind of confused what's going on with your iBook.

- Did the iBook ever boot up properly with it's original hard drive?
- Did the CD drive work properly with the original hard drive?
- What do you mean when you say you were getting hard drive errors? How do you know it was hard drive errors? What was/is happening?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
okay sorry i know what i wrote must be confueing
1. i put the cd for linux and i held c and it booted the cd
2.during the installation the installer came up with a partition error at first
3. then i retied and i got curpurt files error
4. so tried another cd of linux
5. that cd did the same thing
6. so i took hardrive out and put it in my toshiba laptop it didnt pass the smart test
7. so i bought new hardrive put it in and now it wont boot the cd

thank you so much for your help so far

OP
E
Reaction score
no you dont need a partition for it , it is linux for ppc so they work just like osx would work

Reaction score
but I'm assuming it'd write files to the hard drive at some point, in which case it'd need to be in the right format...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.