Dulled Backlight on Left Side of Screen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

the left 3 inches of my screen have dulled significantly within the past couple hours. i didnt drop my computer or anything it just happened. any idea why the backlight isnt working on that side and how i might be able to fix it?

thankssssss

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
the left 3 inches of my screen have dulled significantly within the past couple hours. i didnt drop my computer or anything it just happened. any idea why the backlight isnt working on that side and how i might be able to fix it?

If it is the backlight, (and it sounds like it is) the only repair is to replace it. However, on some machines it may be easier and more economical to just replace the entire display. Post back with info on your machine so we can give you a better idea of what's involved.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB

got it in mid 2007....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back.

First: Is your MBP covered by Apple care? If so, take it on in and let Apple replace the display or backlight.

If not covered: You can either have Apple repair it. ($$$) or do it yourself. Doing it yourself requires quite a bit of work and as I stated in my previous reply... if it's the backlight, it's probably easier to replace the entire display.

You can go to the ifixit site and get a price plus instructions for replacing the display. Link

There are other authorized Apple service centers who will replace the display for less than Apple charges. Here's one: Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.