Want to install new HDD, lost Install Disc

Reaction score
The title says it all. I got my Late 08 MacBook with the standard 150 GB harddrive and now want to upgrade to a 500 GB HDD. I bought a new western digital drive on newegg before realizing I can't find the install disc.

Basically, is there any way to install or clone my harddrive without an install disc? Could I connect the new harddrive to usb with an enclosure and transfer from one harddrive to the other, then take the old harddrive out and put the new one in its place and boot?

If not that...will Apple sell me a new install disc? I obviously own OS X if I have a MacBook so it's really just a case of a lost disc.

Need help badly. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can slap it in an external and clone it with SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner then just switch out the drives.

You could (and should even if you do the above) call Apple for a replacement set of disks. I've read reports of free to $20 replacements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
OP
A
Reaction score
thanks

Thank you both for your replies. Exactly the help I was looking for. Looks like i'll be waiting a few extra days to get a usb 2.0 enclosure for a 2.5" HDD and trying to get new install discs in the meantime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I would just do the usb hard drive enclosure and not worry about getting a new install disc because Snow leopard is coming out! Just make sure that when you get the hard drive enclosure it is SATA and not PATA cuz I stupidly made that mistake and had to wait a whole day to put my hard drive to come back return it and get the right one. But its so worth it. What hard drive did you get btw? Link me. I wanna see which one you got :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would just do the usb hard drive enclosure and not worry about getting a new install disc because Snow leopard is coming out!

Although this is true...if the original poster needs to do a complete fresh install of the Mac OS (and cannot find their install disks that came with the computer)..then they will have to purchase the "10.6 Mac Box Set" which costs $169.

The $29.95 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD is only an "upgrade disk" not a full install.

Of course the original poster (to save a little money) could purchase Mac OS 10.5 Leopard for $129.

A last option would be to contact Apple to get replacement disks for a LATE 2008 MacBook...this is generally a fairly inexpensive solution...generally costing $20 or less.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.