Is This A Common Complaint?

Reaction score
Hi, my MacBook seems to be playing up of late. Initially when I switch it on I have to leave it at least 15-20 mins before I can type as the Keypad is unresponsive. Also this appears to be an intermittent issue as sometimes one particular key works but the next time I boot it up the same key can be unresponsive. Also, if I am writing an email, or in a populated field box, (sorry I do not know the correct technical term) my MacBook randomly starts to fill the space with a letter indefinitely! Like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and until I hit backspace this would continue, it's proper demented! Also, the Trackpad is also playing up at times, has anyone else experienced a similar issue or is this an isolated fault and will I have to take it to be repaired? Also, the MacBook is almost 3 years old, I'm concerned that it may be expensive to repair and if this is the case I'd probably be better buying a new one. Any advice or info will be appreciated. Thanks

Charlotte

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like a pretty unusual problem to me!

- Nick

OP
Applecharlee
Reaction score
I know! Especially for someone who is not technically minded at all! I didn't know whether there would be some kind of troubleshooting procedure or if anyone else had experienced a similar fault? The reason I am posting here is because I suffer from Agoraphobia and an Anxiety Disorder so it's extremely difficult for me to get out the house and take it to be repaired, especially as my closest repair centre is at least 40 odd miles away, (which is more like 40,000 to an Agoraphobic). However, nam stories aside I wasn't sure where to seek help and advice?

Charlotte

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to guess that your problem is so unusual...that you're not getting many responses to your question.

I know that you mentioned that you're concerned that it may be an expensive repair. Unfortunately...unless someone responds with a "miracle cure"...you may have to take your MacBook to the Apple Store to be looked at.

Yes...and you mentioned that the nearest store is close to 40 miles away...and you don't like leaving the house. Maybe you could have a friend or relative take it to the store.

Here's a long-shot idea...have you ever repaired "permission's" on your laptop?

To do it:

- double click on your hard drive icon
- open your Applications folder
- open your Utilities folder
- double click on the Disk Utility icon
- select your hard drive from the list on the left side of the Disk Utility window.
- then click on the "Repair Permission's" button

Be patient...this may take a while.

Please post if this helps or not.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
otherwise you can hope it's software related and re-install whichever OS after backing everything up to an external HDD?

Reaction score
Hi, my MacBook seems to be playing up of late. Initially when I switch it on I have to leave it at least 15-20 mins before I can type as the Keypad is unresponsive. Also this appears to be an intermittent issue as sometimes one particular key works but the next time I boot it up the same key can be unresponsive. Also, if I am writing an email, or in a populated field box, (sorry I do not know the correct technical term) my MacBook randomly starts to fill the space with a letter indefinitely! Like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and until I hit backspace this would continue, it's proper demented! Also, the Trackpad is also playing up at times, has anyone else experienced a similar issue or is this an isolated fault and will I have to take it to be repaired? Also, the MacBook is almost 3 years old, I'm concerned that it may be expensive to repair and if this is the case I'd probably be better buying a new one. Any advice or info will be appreciated. Thanks

Charlotte

10 min ago my MacBook began to behave exactly as you describe. Did you solve the problem? I am currently making backup (time machine) but will then try to solve the problem. Recently my track pad had problems and I am currently using an external drawing pad to fix the problem.
Soren

Reaction score
I solved the problem simply by taking a deep breath and reboot!

(I was concerned that the eratic behavior of the keyboard would prevent me from locking in again).

Before, I rebooted I followed the advise of doing a premission check and it found a very long list of problems. I then did a premission repair. Though it did not solve the problem directly, I still think this maybe indirectly could have helped the PC becoming more stable.

My next plan was to follow the other advise of resetting the SMC (system management controler). While doing that they recomended that I first simply tried to reboot the system. And this good old medicine worked!!

Soren

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just out of curiosity how long have you guys had your MBs, and when did these problems start to occur?

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how long have you guys had your MBs, and when did these problems start to occur?

I had my MacBook for 1.5 years and never had any problems before. The problem has essentially been solved but the MacBook is definitely now more unstable and within the last couple of days I had to reboot it a number of times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
backup and clean install is always a good idea..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.