iBook G4 OS X Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two Laptops 1) iBook G4 w/OSX 10.4.11 2) MacBook Pro w/OSX 10.5.8
I’d like to install OS X Leopard on my trusty old iBook G4 but performance could be a problem since new operating systems on older platforms tend to use more resources then the original OS. Any experience on this out there ?? FYI - 1.33 GH PowerPC G4 (1.1) w/768 DDR SDRAM. I can upgrade the SDRAM if necessary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would run Tiger on that machine. According to specs your machine can take a maximum of 1.25 GB or 1.5 GB of system memory. (not sure which year model you have) You should be able to run Leopard, but it may not run as well as you would like.

I really like the iBook, have always liked them. Good machines.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I’d like to install OS X Leopard on my trusty old iBook G4 but performance could be a problem since new operating systems on older platforms tend to use more resources then the original OS. Any experience on this out there ?? FYI - 1.33 GH PowerPC G4 (1.1) w/768 DDR SDRAM. I can upgrade the SDRAM if necessary.

I have a 2.0 ghz MacBook with 1 gig of ram...and it runs Leopard (10.5) just fine.

As far as your G4 iBook...Apples minimum recommended CPU speed for Leopard is 867mhz. So your 1.33ghz G4 iBook would technically have a fast enough processor.

With that being said...your laptop meets the requirements for Leopard...it's up to you if you want to upgrade.

I think if you decide to do it, you would be fine..but you might want to bump up the ram some.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.