Switching Soon!

Reaction score
Hi my first post on Mac-Forums.
I thought it would help to register with a Mac forum since I am switching next week an I got a few questions. (Sorry for long post)
Ok so I have been using Windows PCs for almost 20years, the first piece of tecnology I got to grips with as a kid!
So I am expecting a learning curve, but love challenges.
Presently posting this thread on my iPhone 3Gs. Love them.

I am deffinitly buying a MBP in either 15-17" versions, almost deffinitly 17"!
I plan on using my Mac for media (Music/Dvds), light gaming, may put windows 7 on it, an office work.

1. I am very experianced with MS Office 2003 (word, excel, PowerPoint)
would you recommend office or iWork (Going to uni, an my collegue uses word 2003+2007)?

2. iLife? Is the 2009 version included as standard, an is iPhoto good for basic manipulation of pictures, above an beyond what's stated on apples website? I am still very inexperianced in photo editing. Or is apeture advised?

3. Is the Ram, Hard drive an Battery all changeable when needed?

4. Any thing else you could advise a complete Mac noob?

5. What size of Mac would you advise for my uses? No budget with good reason.
I await your replys, in anticipation.
With regards VIPeR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
1. I am very experianced with MS Office 2003 (word, excel, PowerPoint)
would you recommend office or iWork (Going to uni, an my collegue uses word 2003+2007)?

2. iLife? Is the 2009 version included as standard, an is iPhoto good for basic manipulation of pictures, above an beyond what's stated on apples website? I am still very inexperianced in photo editing. Or is apeture advised?

3. Is the Ram, Hard drive an Battery all changeable when needed?

4. Any thing else you could advise a complete Mac noob?

5. What size of Mac would you advise for my uses? No budget with good reason.
I await your replys, in anticipation.
With regards VIPeR
1)I would suggest either iWork, neoOffice, or OpenOffice.

2)iPhoto would more than meet your needs, the iLife software is some basic applications to make your life easy.

3) Yes they are, with some know how and a screw driver.

4)Enjoy it, come here if you need help and check out open source projects for your mac.

5) The 15" should go beyond your needs for school and every day use.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply and feed back.

On the office packages, I looked up Neooffice, never knew it existed.
I never did like Openoffice, but will give Neoffice ago since it's free, thanks.

gagnerants, you recommend the 15", the reason I favour the 17" is it has all the specs "500GB hard drive, an Nvidia 9600" I would pay extra for in an upgraded 15" version, as standard.
+ the obvious increase in screen size @ 1900x1200, which I love!
I have a Dell 2407wfp, that I use with my pc, an it supports same resolution, an will be using mac in conjunction to dell monitor.

Lastly, Snow Lepard, is released Friday I believe, I am planning on buying my mac on 1st September, pay day! Will apple be supplying that as standard on all macs by then, or as am added option?

Again any advice is appreciated. VIPeR

T

todd51

Actually, I don't think you can swap out the battery. Isn't it built-in on the newer ones?

Lastly, Snow Lepard, is released Friday I believe, I am planning on buying my mac on 1st September, pay day! Will apple be supplying that as standard on all macs by then, or as am added option?

It may not be installed as the current OS, but you should get discs included in the box for Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I don't think you can swap out the battery. Isn't it built-in on the newer ones?
Linky for ever if something was to happen to the battery while under protection let them take care of it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Linky for ever if something was to happen to the battery while under protection let them take care of it.

Ohh dear god, I am no performing operations on that shinny toy!
I thought with the latest revision there was handy release system on them?
Or am I mistaken it for the 15" model?

A few other questions have sprung to mind.

1. Does mac os's have user accounts like windows?
Like having accounts for me, an different members of my family?

2. Any recommended assesories?
I was thinking of a neocrom,? Cover an perhaps good head phones for music?

3. Life wise?
What I mean, I have my present pc for 3 years, an it has become underably slow with updates an stuff. (I keep it free of virus's an spyware)
will simular happen to my mac, in your experiances? Even if properly maintained?

4. The charger?
How long is the cable from plug, to power brick, an then to the MagSafe connector? I wish to know because me bed is 2-3 meters from nearest socket!

5. With present spec of 17" mac, an latest version of iTunes, suffer slow downs with a large iTunes libary.
On my pc at present, 1400+ songs, 100+ movies, 80Gb of tv series.
Total libary size 160Gb+, an getting bigger!
will it cope? Or suffer slow downs?

Again, I appreciate your input an advice.
VIPeR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Does mac os's have user accounts like windows?
Like having accounts for me, an different members of my family?

2. Any recommended assesories?
I was thinking of a neocrom,? Cover an perhaps good head phones for music?

3. Life wise?
What I mean, I have my present pc for 3 years, an it has become underably slow with updates an stuff. (I keep it free of virus's an spyware)
will simular happen to my mac, in your experiances? Even if properly maintained?

5. With present spec of 17" mac, an latest version of iTunes, suffer slow downs with a large iTunes libary.
On my pc at present, 1400+ songs, 100+ movies, 80Gb of tv series.
Total libary size 160Gb+, an getting bigger!
will it cope? Or suffer slow downs?
As for the battery thing, I don't know for sure since I do not own either.

1) Yes

2) I would suggest a carrying bag/backback for it along with a case sleeve that fits the laptop to prevent scratches on the case while in the bag or backback.

3)If you use a software like Onyx it will keep the speed up, but as the hardware starts to fade and the requirements for software goes up it will slow down somewhat.

5) iTunes seems to be slow on first opening the program with a large amount of content but it's not so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi my first post on Mac-Forums.
I thought it would help to register with a Mac forum since I am switching next week an I got a few questions. (Sorry for long post)
Ok so I have been using Windows PCs for almost 20years, the first piece of tecnology I got to grips with as a kid!
So I am expecting a learning curve, but love challenges.
Presently posting this thread on my iPhone 3Gs. Love them.With regards VIPeR

Welcome aboard VIPeR ..... i recently switched 5 mnths ago...
You picked a great forum to be a member of as its been invaluable to me and my noob questions. Dont be sorry about long post, if people arnt that interested they wont read it.

Im getting rid of my 16gb touch and gonna upgrade to the 16gb iphone and they sound the real deal. I cant wait for it. Going to get Snow Leopard this Fri am and look forward to learning more about my great machine.

These are a learning curve but in my opinion they are set up for logical thinking and easy t use and learn

Enjoy what ever you get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Welcome.

MBP 15" or 17" will be plenty fast enough, if you don't need portability option then get an iMac for cheaper power compared to MBP.

The switch can be easy although when switching its just the file orders, application installs, and start bar that will throw you.

Bare with it, and you will love it!

check this for more help
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks tattooedmac,
As a secound iPhone user, there great!
Had the original 2G 16Gb, an upgraded the other week to a 32Gb 3Gs!
Just wish the battery lasted, more than 30hrs. But I am never off mine for txt'n, surfing net an media! + always been connected is a life saver for my work!

Bloogrape, I really don't fancy another brute of a screen on my desk, but that's for the suggestion of a iMac.
An the portability of the MBP is important! + I'll just connect my MBP to my monitor through it DVI connection.

Now to just arrange a personal shopper for Monday.
Again thanks VIPeR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.