Weird black spots on aluminum wrist rest.

Reaction score
I've owned my MBP for roughly over 2 weeks now and just recently noticed the development of two curiously faint blackish spots on my wrist rest. Thinking a simple wipedown should do the trick, I've used both water and rubbing alcohol to clean the casing, but the spots just won't go away. Before I go back to trying to rub the spots off for the 3rd time, I'd like to open it up for discussion.

Any insight into this would be truly appreciated!

Reaction score
do you mean you have bought a wrist rest for your mbp? get some photos up.

Reaction score
Do you wear a watch or other wrist jewelry? It could be scraping the aluminum.

I bought a Marware pad which adheres to that surface for protection and haven't regretted it for a second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
yes i would suggest the marware pad, its not from a watch...black develops on all laptops becuase you are resting your hands...its the oils and movement on spot from your wrists i guess leaves black marks that you can't remove. it happens on all laptops though my friend has a dell and those spots are like pitch black on his.

OP
N
Reaction score
hmmm...anyone have an idea how i can (safely) get it out?

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
im sorry dude but this seems to be a problem with the late powerbooks and with some of the new macbook pros...it is corrosion of the metal and is very very very hard to remove and is not worth the effort
sorry dude
call up applecare and they should replace the the cover of that area
good luck

Reaction score
I read somewhere that someone suggested the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I have not used it, but it can't hurt.

Reaction score
I've got the exact same issue. I've been using my Macbook Pro now for a couple of week and I noticed today the black spots on the right side palm wrist area of the laptop.

Someone suggested it might be due to watches or other jewelry, but that cant be the problem for me at least since i wear my watch on my left wrist.

I'll give Applecare a call about this and let you guys know what the results are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.