safari tabbed home pages question

Reaction score
when i used to use internet explorer i had it setup so when i opened it that i had several homepages open with it. my main page would be on the front then several others of my favorites would open up as tabs.

anyone know how to do this with safari?

peace
wild turkey-

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not quite sure but I have one solution. Go to Safari > Preferences > General > "New windows open with" > "Tabs for Bookmarks Bar". Now, when a new window is opened, all the bookmarks in your bookmark bar will be opened in tabs. The only down side is of course that your bookmarks bar has to be what you want to open in new windows and can't change from that (this may or may not be a problem for you).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing in Safari that is close to what you are looking for is:

When Safari opens, click on History then on "Reopen All Windows from Last Session".

Everything you had open in Tabs or Windows before you closed Safari will reopen like you left it.

Hope that helps and is close at least to what you want.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only thing in Safari that is close to what you are looking for is:

When Safari opens, click on History then on "Reopen All Windows from Last Session".

Everything you had open in Tabs or Windows before you closed Safari will reopen like you left it.

Hope that helps and is close at least to what you want.
Does this method not require that you have to close Safari with those tabs open every time? That would be quite the pain.

EDIT: As an addendum to my previous solution, you can specify a specific folder from your bookmarks bar by selecting "Choose tabs folder...". This would be a more effective solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OP wants several pages to open at startup. What I posted is the only way I have ever seen to do that in Safari. And yes you have to shutdown safari with the pages/tabs open.

Unless there is some after market app that works with Safari and allows what the OP wants, there is no other way in Safari at least. Firefox does a lot more in that area.

Edit: look what I found? Someone did a script that looks like it might do what the OP wants! Search engines are our best friend sometimes! :D This is rather old though. I hope it works in Safari 4.

macosxhints.com - Open Safari to multiple tabbed pages

I just tried what Van suggested and it will work but be sure you only have the sites in the Bookmark Bar you wan to open at startup! I set it and when Safari started 20 things opened as I have a lot in my Bookmark Bar. :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried what Van suggested and it will work but be sure you only have the sites in the Bookmark Bar you wan to open at startup! I set it and when Safari started 20 things opened as I have a lot in my Bookmark Bar. :D
I thought that was the only way as well but after going back later, you can specify a specific folder in your bookmark bar. So, you could make a folder called "Startup" or something and put all the bookmarks you want to open when you launch Safari. Now, when you launch Safari, only the bookmarks in that folder will launch.

To do this, go to Safari > Preferences > General > "New windows open with" > "Choose tabs folder...". With that, you will be asked to specify a folder of bookmarks you want to open when you open a new window. Just tried it here and it works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knew about the folder but glad you posted that as it might help others! Thanks for all your info. Very helpful as always.

The reason I set it to the whole bookmark bar is I wanted to see the iMac G5 strain and that it did! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.