• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video card upgrade for iMovie on G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 (dual CPU, 1.25 GHz, 1.75GB Mem)
I'm editing HDV from my Canon HV30 on a "mirror door" G4 (dual 1.25GHz, 1.75MB, 10.4.10) using iMovieHD (iLife 06). I get a message on opening iMovie that states my graphic card (ATI RADION 9000 Pro) may not work properly because iMovie requires a "Quartz Extreme Compatible" card.

In practice, the uploading via Firewire (400) does go slowly with numerous waits for the complete loading of cached data, but, also, there are problems with device control. The camera is slow to react to commands initiated on the monitor screen, sometimes not registering at all.

I am thinking I well could benefit with an upgrade of my video card but am not sure what card would do the trick. I do plan to upgrade my software to iMovie 09 at least, maybe even Final Cut Express, so would want the card that would match that. Any advice out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The video card upgrade is a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Check the specs for the software upgrades. They say your system can't run iMovie 09. Looks like the FCE specs say you need a new video card.

If you open System Profiler, you can see if your card supports both Quartz Extreme and if Core Image is "Hardware Excellerated". I think you only require QE.

This doesn't affect you right now, but note that VCHD requires a Mac computer with an Intel processor. There is a third party software app that can convert that on a G4/G5 system. It is slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.