Macbook Pro gets wireless, Macbook says password protected

Reaction score
My roommate has a MacBook pro and she is able to get onto a nearby wireless network. I have a regular Macbook and when I try to get onto the same network it asks me for a WEP password. How come she is able to get onto it without a password, but I cannot? And is there a way so that I can get onto the network?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe someone gave her the password? :)

Wouldn't it be better (and ethical) to have your own wireless network instead of mooching off someone else?

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Wouldn't it be better (and ethical) to have your own wireless network instead of mooching off someone else?
You'd think that.

Is this a neighbours wireless network? If so, here's a simple solution for you. Call up a local ISP and order a package. After the tech comes in and sets everything up, buy a wireless router and install it. Once this is done, you will have your own wireless internet at home. It's as simple as that.

T

todd51

More than likely she has already been given the password or obtained it through unethical means. Either way, it's not very nice to try and use someone else's Internet connection, even if they leave it open.

OP
W
Reaction score
No, she did not get it through unethical means. It asked her whether she would like to join, and it is an open network on other computers except for my regular Macbook. This is where the problem is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.