Charger cable is really hot

Reaction score
I have a new Macbook Pro.

The charger sometimes gets SUPER hot when charging... Anyone else experience this? Is it a problem that I need to get fixed or does it just happen?

Any help would be much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean by "super hot"? Does it burn your fingers if you touch it? If so, you need to have it looked at by Apple as it might be defective. If it's only getting uncomfortably warm - that would be normal. The new MacBook Pro machines have a non user replaceable long life battery that takes a considerable amount of current flow to charge it.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Hot" is always relative. Like has already been mentioned...the charger & cable will get warm/very warm when charging...but you should be able to hold it in your hand.

- Nick

Reaction score
Do you mean the power brick part or the cable itself?

My powerbrick always gets quite warm whilst charging.

Reaction score
I think that is pretty normal. From my own experience and that of a few others I know who own Macs, the box part of the cable can get really, really hot. As in if you charge it for a while in a warm room it is almost too hot to pick up (It won`t burn you but you would rather not hold it in your hand)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
After reading this I just felt my little charging box and it is a little warm, but I'm deff going to not try to put an egg on it. It is not burning hot but just warm. I noticed this before reading this thread and just thought it was normal because it is just charging. However if it does get hot enough to "burn" my fingers then that is logically probably a problem. Hopefully that doesn't happen though haha

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the help.

It's the powerbrick that is getting warm

Yeah, it isn't TOO hot to hold... But it does get pretty hot. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't too crazy.

Thanks for the answers!

Reaction score
My brand new (aug. 2010) mac book pro's power adapter is extremely hot. I practically burnt my finger on it. I had it plugged in while watching a tv show online. I don't think it should get that hot should it? Any help is appreciated since i am new to the macworld. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
My brand new (aug. 2010) mac book pro's power adapter is extremely hot. I practically burnt my finger on it. I had it plugged in while watching a tv show online. I don't think it should get that hot should it? Any help is appreciated since i am new to the macworld. thanks

After reading this whole thread, I'd be concentrating on post #2 by chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.