New Macbook Pro Battery health

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post. I've purchased my first Apple computer this morning, it is a new Macbook Pro 13. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

My question is about the long lasting battery. What is the best way of taking care of it? Tipically I use my laptops connected to the power supply for days (in standby or just hanging there), then I take them around for some hour (like when watching the tv on the sofa or surfing from my bed!). How is this new battery supposed to work? Is it better to make it full discharge and then recharge? Do some discharge/richarge every once in a while? In one word: what are the best practices to make it last as long as possible and keep in good shape?

I've also read about "calibrating" the battery periodically. What does that mean?

Last question: when using windows (or even linux) I faced situations when the computer freezes. It freezes so bad that it is even impossible to shut them down in a decent way. Apart from the rethoric that Macs are different, they just work and so on, I've seen Macs freezed and sometimes the only, hard way of solving the problem is plugging away the battery. What if this happens to the new MacBook that has an _internal_ battery? Do I have to way 7 hours for the battery to discharge?

Thanks in advance for all the answers :)

gdp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It is my understanding full discharge of the battery is not recommended.
Read this for calibrating the battery (probably monthly or every other month).

If for some reason your Mac "freezes" just force quit that application. cmd+option+esc or if the mouse/cursor is available it is under the "Apple" icon in the top left.

Enjoy your new Mac! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My question is about the long lasting battery. What is the best way of taking care of it? Tipically I use my laptops connected to the power supply for days (in standby or just hanging there), then I take them around for some hour (like when watching the tv on the sofa or surfing from my bed!). How is this new battery supposed to work? Is it better to make it full discharge and then recharge? Do some discharge/richarge every once in a while? In one word: what are the best practices to make it last as long as possible and keep in good shape?
Give this and this a read. The first one is specific to batteries while the second is more for "general" care.

I've also read about "calibrating" the battery periodically. What does that mean?
Give this a read.

Last question: when using windows (or even linux) I faced situations when the computer freezes. It freezes so bad that it is even impossible to shut them down in a decent way. Apart from the rethoric that Macs are different, they just work and so on, I've seen Macs freezed and sometimes the only, hard way of solving the problem is plugging away the battery. What if this happens to the new MacBook that has an _internal_ battery? Do I have to way 7 hours for the battery to discharge?
You shouldn't have this happen very often, regardless of what OS you're using. If it does happen, you can always hold down the power button for a few seconds which will force the computer off but I would recommend this as a last resort.

Sorry for all the links to your first few questions but I can't explain those any better than those articles can. Enjoy your new MBP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.