• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems watching HD videos on iBook G4

Reaction score
Last night I downloaded a TV episode from iTunes. When I tried to watch it, the video was very choppy, with the picture lagging way behind the audio. I searched online for help, and tried the suggested fix (upgrading QuickTime and playing the movie directly through there.) Same result. Next I tried transferring the episode to my (almost-new) iPod, figuring I'd watch it there, but got a message that the video wasn't transferred because it couldn't be viewed on an iPod.

I searched some more, and the only answer seems to be that I'm out of luck, because HD movies aren't viewable on the G4 OR on an iPod! iTunes didn't make this clear before download, nor do they offer a non-HD version of the show.

This is SO frustrating! Is there any way to watch my show, or did I waste my money? There doesn't seem to be a free version (Hulu, etc.) online anywhere, and I really resent having to rent/buy an entire TV season to re-watch one episode. I don't have access to another computer, and the suggested fix for this problem ("buy a new one!) is not an option.

What to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Can you give us the exact spec of your machine please?
Amount of RAM, processor speed etc. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes should auto download an SD version with every HD video purchase.
The HD version will not go onto an iPod, but the SD version will.
All of my purchases have downloaded both versions for movies and TV shows.

Am not at my Mac at the moment and have not looked to see where the SD versions exist or how to play them/move them to iPod as I have only watched the HD versions thus far. Will check on this after work and get back then.

In the meantime, providing the info Kevriano has requested may get some help on possibly playing the HD version on your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This may also depend on the graphics chip you have. So if you can look in system profiler it will tell you what's installed. Some later ones could definitely handle 480p and 720p HD video, but none will do 1080i/p.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have an iBook G4 running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11. Processor: 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4. Memory: 512 MB. I'm not sure about the graphics chip--I looked in System Profiler, but I don't know what to make of all of the numbers there. In the Graphics/Displays section it says "ATI Mobility Radeon 9550" with chipset model ATI/M12, if that helps.

I'd read elsewhere that iTunes automatically downloads a non-HD version, but I can't seem to find it! When I search my computer, only the HD version is found. I don't really care about seeing it in HD--the regular version is fine. Where should I look for it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you're looking at them in iTunes - there will be an HD-SD symbol at the right side of the name column- like so:

The only way I could find to play the SD version on mine was to either navigate to it's location in Finder or type it's name in Spotlight and it will show you both versions - then click on the SD version to start it.

It should auto sync the SD version when you try to drag it to an iPod though.

OP
T
Reaction score
My video only has the "HD" symbol next to it in iTunes. Does that mean I can't watch it?

OP
T
Reaction score
So apparently you have to buy the SD and HD versions separately--I wish iTunes had made that clear before I spent three bucks to download something I couldn't watch! Anyway, I caved and paid another $2 for the SD version. Thanks for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you still have a Download label in the sidebar of iTunes?

If so go there, and the SD download may be sitting there needing to be restarted.

If it's not, you may need to call or e-mail Apple to see if you can get the SD download.

What is the TV show you're trying to watch?

edit: No, you don't have to pay for both. I have gotten both SD and HD with every HD TV show I've purchased at $2.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.