oops....i dropped it

Reaction score
After 3 yrs i've finally done it... dopped the darn macbook. Now it makes a funny squeaky noise and i get a blinking folder with a question mark when i turn it on. Please tell me it's an easy fix.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That sound like the drop damaged the Hard Drive. That might be where that noise is coming from also. Was the computer on when it dropped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If it was off or asleep there is a good chance you may have just jostled the hard drive, and it simply needs to be reseated. This happened to my girlfriend's MacBook.. more than once. If it was on and in use.. well you may be out of luck.

If it is a white MacBook, reseating the drive will be easy. Just remove the battery, remove the metal retainer which covers the RAM slots, then pull out the hard drive by the plastic tab and firmly push it back in. If you are lucky, this will solve your problem.

However the squeaking noise you described does not sound promising.

OP
J
Reaction score
it was asleep-i will attempt the reseat and let you know- thanks for the tips

OP
J
Reaction score
i guess it's not my lucky day. I followed the instructions for reseating and im getting the same response. The noise that its making sounds like its coming from the disc drive. Kinda clunky- like theres something moving around. Heres the real question- how much is this going to cost me? Im going out for a trail ride on my mare and in the hope that i will be better able to handle the answer when i get back. Thanks again for the info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.