Airport finding neighbors wireless router before mine

Reaction score
I have recently moved to a neighborhood where airport on both my MacBook Pro and MacBook finds several wireless networks when I first start up my computers. For some reason it always lites on a neighbor's network even though the signal strength is inferior and mine is at full strength. Is there a way to delete other networks from the memory or make my network the default so I do not have to go into Airport each time and select my network? I am sure this is an easy fix for many of you, but I just do not know how to resolve this. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Click on System Preferences, click on Network, and then hit the Advanced button. You'll see a list of wireless networks. If your neighbor's is located above yours, then it's set to connect to that one first. Either drag it down or simply remove it from the list by clicking on the minus button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two Laptops 1) iBook G4 w/OSX 10.4.11 2) MacBook Pro w/OSX 10.5.8
Greetings, I have a similar problem with several WiFi networks appearing in the available list. My network is secured checked as default but Airport may unpredictably & spontaneously switch to another network that is not secured. This is noticed only when a lower signal strength is observed. I would like to permently ignore all the other networks and have them not appear in the list. Tnx, Frites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Then just follow the steps provided by Kash and "delete" the other networks from your list using the minus sign after you've highlighted each one.
If your network is the only one in the list, then it's the only one Airport will connect to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks !! Quick reply !! One more question. I travel and find WiFi places here & there. I assume they will appear & vanish from the list as I move about. Correct ?? Tnx, Frites

T

todd51

Thanks !! Quick reply !! One more question. I travel and find WiFi places here & there. I assume they will appear & vanish from the list as I move about. Correct ?? Tnx, Frites

That all depends on if you actually connect to the network. If you connect to the open network, and have the box checked saying "Remember any network this computer has joined", then it will keep it in that list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Greetings,
The machine is an iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11.
I follow the Preference/Network/Advanced instructions as offered by Kash to remove unwanted WiFi networks and noticed 2 things. There is no “Advanced “ option. At the Preference/Network window, a small dropdown window appears with message “Your Network Settings have been changed by another application”. This message window includes an “OK” button. I click “OK” and the message window rolls up then down again. This will persist endlessly. The Preference/Network window can not be closed but apps in the dock will open. To clear the Preference/Network window I must force a reboot using the power button.
The problem is no longer the list of WiFi networks. It’s the “Your Network Settings have been…” message and that it essentially freezes in place the Preference/Network window and prevents exercising any network options.
Any help would be appreciated…
Tnx, Frites

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.