Streaming internet video problems on Quicksilver G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver 933, 1.12 gb ram
I'm having trouble with my streaming video over the internet. I am running 10.4.11 with 1.12 gb ram and a Radeon 9800 AGP 128 mb video card. It used to work fine, albeit not great, but it was watchable on sites like youtube, hulu and facebook. All of a sudden the video is now very choppy and the audio is out of sync. It's like trying to watch a video on youtube on my old pismo 400 with 512 mb and the stock 10 gb drive. Not fun. I have tried the following things that I have come across in various discussion forums: I have emptied the browser cache, emptied the hd cache, defragged the hd, closed all other applications while running the video, downgrading to flash 9, clearing cookies, clearing the browser's past history, letting the buffer fill all the way up, as well as a few other things I can't remember right now. It is not the internet connection. I have tried it with a different machine and it works fine with it. I have a 300 gb hd partitioned in half with 35 gb remaining on one partition and 140 gb remaining on the other. I am at my wits end. The machine's memory is more than sufficient, the video card is 128 mb (the old one was the stock 32 mb geforce). There is more than enough empty space on the hd. I just don't know where to go next. I feel like I'm just missing one little detail, but I don't know wht it is. Please help. This is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Before I answer, can you tell me something? Have you installed all the latest updates on your 10.4.11 like latest quicktime and all other updates?

I have a reason for asking.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I answer, can you tell me something? Have you installed all the latest updates on your 10.4.11 like latest quicktime and all other updates?

I have a reason for asking.

Yes. All of the updates have been installed. I am I thinking what I think you're thinking? That one of the updates is causing this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also have a Quicksilver and a Digital Audio for that matter. In Tiger since the very last updates to Flash, Quicktime and Safari, YouTube videos jerk even on the Quicksilver and they did not before the updates. Also some videos on YouTube have been updated with higher quality versions and that is also affecting older machines also.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know they now have "HD" videos on youtube, but I didn't think that would effect the regular one, too. Even on hulu, too? Because from what I can tell, nothing has changed on hulu. One day I go to watch an episode of "30 Rock" and it is fine, the next, it is totally unwatchable. Even the short one-minute clips are bad.
But from what I gather from your response is that we're screwed. There is no solution?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.