Ibook audio-in/mobile internet question

O

october

I am new to macs as well as this board. I purchased a Ipod last summer, and just purchased a emac for a desktop just 3 months ago. I am now looking at purchasing a Ibook within the next few months, if not sooner. But I had a few questions that I thought possibly someone could answer.

I would be using my Ibook mostly for recording music. What kind of Audio-In does the Ibook come with? reading the specs and looking at the pictures I didn't see any inputs for it. What would you recommend for audio-in?

Second, I work for a cellphone company, and naturally I would love to use my unlimited data for mobile internet. I know they have EDGE cards that you put your sim into, but as-well I dont see a way to connect one to the Ibook. Is it possible to use a blue-tooth enabled phone for internet connection with your ibook? This isn't really high priority to me, but It would always be a plus.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

OP
D

Desolate One

No audio in. If you can port the audio through USB or IEEE 1394, thats another story.

If you have BT to begin with, sure. Otherwise you'll have to get a BT dongle.

OP
O

october

Desolate One said:
No audio in. If you can port the audio through USB or IEEE 1394, thats another story.

If you have BT to begin with, sure. Otherwise you'll have to get a BT dongle.

I'm sure they sell a usb adapter for rca input, so that is not really a big deal. But for the blue tooth, it just seems to simple to add the BT and have a BT phone and..wala.. you have internet. I wish I could test it before I made the purchase. Has anyone ever tried this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep, I have on my GSM phone and it works fine.

Just make sure you add bluetooth as a build-to-order option on the apple store website. It can't be added internally afterwards, only through a USB dongle.

I went for the internal bto option - much nicer IMO!

Mobile Internet will depend on the phone you're using though, check the iSync website for a list of compatible bluetooth phones.

Also check the manufacturers website for details.

Otherwise you could get a 15" powerbook which has a pcmcia slot for EDGE/Umts cards.

OP
O

october

Aptmunich said:
Yep, I have on my GSM phone and it works fine.

Just make sure you add bluetooth as a build-to-order option on the apple store website. It can't be added internally afterwards, only through a USB dongle.

I went for the internal bto option - much nicer IMO!

Mobile Internet will depend on the phone you're using though, check the iSync website for a list of compatible bluetooth phones.

Also check the manufacturers website for details.

Otherwise you could get a 15" powerbook which has a pcmcia slot for EDGE/Umts cards.

Thanks for the help, I'm torn between getting an ibook and a powerbook, and honestly I like the looks of the ibook better.

OP
J

Jefe3223

Love da-ibook. I don't need it to do a ton of work or processing, just general computer stuff, and it's my baby.

OP
I

iDVFH.

My friend just got an iBook (Thanks to me (= lol) and thought he could use his Motorola T720 (i think) with it but..Verizon blocked his bluetooth capabilities..he was so mad

OP
I

iDVFH.

I wish Nextel had Bluetooth..well I know my i830 doesn't have it and I'm pretty sure the i860 doesn't..I'd use it all the time! Maybe the Blackberry does (=

OP
O

october

iDVFH. said:
My friend just got an iBook (Thanks to me (= lol) and thought he could use his Motorola T720 (i think) with it but..Verizon blocked his bluetooth capabilities..he was so mad

how do you block bluetooth? Shouldn't he be able to turn it on and off on his phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
you cant kan u?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
october said:
how do you block bluetooth? Shouldn't he be able to turn it on and off on his phone?
Well often carriers use customized firmware on phones, usually just to display their logos and to integrate their data services.

It seems as Verizon wants to force people to spend money transferring their photos and whatnot using their dataplan instead of just sending them for free using bluetooth, so they blocked that functionality in the firmware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.