aol broadband in UK

C

colcol

got my first imac today.

I subscribe to AOL broadband in UK. I can use this system on my pc but cannot get the software to load on my imac.

aol says they do not support mac os.

apple helpline in uk says must locate aol installer on imac. I cant find it. she also said the aol installer could be downloaded from www.apple.com/macosx/applications/aol. there was nothing on this link that helped me nor could I find an aol installer.

before I pull out the last of my hair, can anyone help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
go to aol.com and go the download aol page they have aol for macOS

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are yoiu running Mac OS X or OS 9? You said you are using broadband, I would not load any software from aol. Just turn DHCP, in your TCP/IP configuration. That should get you on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
This is a DSL connection, correct?

You shouldn't need their software to connect, and if you do, you're better off finding a local ISP that provides the same services. It'll probably be cheaper too.

AOL is great for new internet users, and personally I DO like their client, but they are way too expensive and restricting. You can do a lot better with a local ISP. And you can still get the AOL client to run on top of that for like $9 a month. That is worth looking into.

OP
C

colcol

I have just signed 12 month contract with aol in UK so cannot easily switch to another broadband supplier. I am running osx 10.2. I can load aol for mac software which allows me dial-up access to aol but it is the extra software to access aol broadband which will not load. anyone else had this problem? anyone in UK managed to access aol broadband from osx? bests, colin.

OP
S

SuziP

I am logged on to AOL with my broadband modem to write this message. I downloaded an up to date OSX driver for my BT Voyager modem from BT and the new version of AOL for OSX and it all went together first time! I am not usually that lucky!

This is my first message to this forum.

OP
J

john scott

aol broadband

SuziP said:
I am logged on to AOL with my broadband modem to write this message. I downloaded an up to date OSX driver for my BT Voyager modem from BT and the new version of AOL for OSX and it all went together first time! I am not usually that lucky!

Hi I am just about to get my iMac and a horrible thought came to me. I have aol broadband for the PC and aol told me that they did not support the Mac for broadband. I will have panther and I have downloaded to cd the aol software and driver for my BT Voyager 100 modem so I hope it works or else I suppose I,ll have to go back to narrowband as I have to be with aol broadband for a year.
John Scott

OP
C

Craig_455

SuziP said:

Hi Suzip

Can i just ask you to just back up what you have just said. You have your mac running on OSX useing AOL broadband in the UK?

How did you set this up and have you had any problems with AOL using your mac on broadband?

Craig

OP
J

john scott

Craig_455 said:
Hi Suzip

Can i just ask you to just back up what you have just said. You have your mac running on OSX useing AOL broadband in the UK?

How did you set this up and have you had any problems with AOL using your mac on broadband?

Craig
Hi Craig I cannot get Suzip's method to work.

John Scott

OP
C

Craig_455

john scott said:
Hi Craig I cannot get Suzip's method to work.

John Scott

Hi John

Where do you come across problems? I suspect its when you have to enter isp information in the mac?

OP
J

john scott

Craig_455 said:
Hi John

Where do you come across problems? I suspect its when you have to enter isp information in the mac?
//////////////////////////

I think you may be correct.I downloaded from BT the driver for my BT Voyager 100 modem and instuctions but it may be that as I am not a member of BT for broadband it did not work. Will try again this weekend. AOL narrowband is very slow with the mac (slower than narrowband was with the PC). Do you have any ideas who is the best broadband isp for the mac.

Thanks

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
NTL cable broadband works great with the mac :)

cheers - pistooli

OP
J

john scott

Craig_455 said:
Hi John

Hi Craig I found out yesterday by accident that if I LOG ONTO AOL NARROWBAND then immediately go to SAFARI then it is so much faster. Of course you need to transfer your favourite places manually. I dont know if you can do it automatically. You still have the disadvantage that software downloads are sloww but accessing your favourite wbsites iss fast.

John

OP
N

norbition

I am using Mac OS9.1 and i am considering getting AOL broadband (becuase it means not having to change my e-mail address) and i like them. But...They say that they can not supply any technical support, i am guessing this is becuase they have not completely tested it so it leads me to wonder if there are any bugs. Does anyone else here run AOL.Broadband on OS9.1? If so how long have you had it and how well does it work?

thanx in advance,

norbi

OP
J

john scott

norbition said:
I am using Mac OS9.1 and i am considering getting AOL broadband (becuase it means not having to change my e-mail address) and i like them. But...They say that they can not supply any technical support, i am guessing this is becuase they have not completely tested it so it leads me to wonder if there are any bugs. Does anyone else here run AOL.Broadband on OS9.1? If so how long have you had it and how well does it work?

thanx in advance,

norbi

Hi AOL does not support Broadband for the Mac. I have aol broadband for my PC but that is being repaired. I can get my voyager 100 modem supplied by aol to run on the mac but you still do not get broadband as the phone line is tied up.

John Scott

OP
N

norbition

john scott said:
Hi AOL does not support Broadband for the Mac. I have aol broadband for my PC but that is being repaired. I can get my voyager 100 modem supplied by aol to run on the mac but you still do not get broadband as the phone line is tied up.

John Scott

well...they told me the other day that they do actually support mac. but its untested so they cannot supply technical help. I know it can work but i want to know if it does. thanx for trying but i'm afriad you were no help at all.

norbi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Most ISP's claim they can't support broadband or even dail up for Linux. That's Bs they just don't know how to explain what to do. All you need is a compatible DSL/cable "modem" and this should not be too difficult I'm sure it's easy enough for Mac as well

OP
A

Al3000

Hi,

I am planning to get rid of a my pc I have at the moment, and change to a mac. I am currently on aol broadband, and do not want to have to leave, as the email address I use there is the one I use for all the sites I visit, and all my contacts. I was speaking to an aol representative on live help yesterday, and they were telling me how they have not been informed of if/when aol BB will be available for the mac. I was really disappointed to hear this, as I think that aol is a good service and would really not want to loose it.

Does anyone have any info on if/when aol uk will support it? As aol US do (I assume the US version of aol 9 for the mac would not be compatible with the uk service?) If not, then does anyone have a any ideas what I could do, apart from wait?!

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Is the broadband device you're using now on a firewire or USB2 port? If so, I see no reason the Mac would have any problems

OP
A

Al3000

witeshark said:
Is the broadband device you're using now on a firewire or USB2 port? If so, I see no reason the Mac would have any problems

It's USB, but I thought I needed the aol software to dial up to the service. :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.