Macbook Pro for AP Comp Science class

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 15'' Macbook Pro, and I am in an AP Computer Science class. The problem is that while my teacher says that J2SE (A Java Compiler) comes pre-installed on a Macbook Pro with OS X, I have been unable to locate a folder where I am supposed to procede with the following directions:

4. Many of the lab exercises in the curriculum rely upon code that has already been compiled into a Java library: gpdraw.jar. You need to download this file and follow the step below. (Make sure you save the file as .jar and not .zip. Some browsers try to change the extension from .jar to .zip.)
1. Copy gpdraw.jar to your Java installation’s \ jre\lib\ext\ folder.

*If you have trouble with this step, it might be because you don’t have file extensions turned on. You need to know exact files names. In any Windows Explorer window (like My Computer), choose Tools | Folder Options. In the View tab, make sure “Hide extensions…” is NOT checked. Then you can see the real file names such as gpdraw.jar. It’s the .jar part you need to be able to see. Rename the file to gpdraw.jar if the extension is wrong. If you have Windows Vista, here are your instructions.
To show file extensions (for Vista users):

1. Go to any folder.

2. At the top left corner, click "organize", "folder and search options", "view", and then
uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

5. Finally, you should install the API documentation for gpdraw.jar. Download gpdraw.zip from and follow the step below.
1. Unzip gpdraw.zip into to your Java installation’s \docs\api\ folder. It will automatically create a folder called gpdraw.

*By the way, do you see why file extensions matter now? You have two files named “gpdraw” but one is a .jar file and the other is a .zip file. They’re not the same!

Of course, these directions are geared towards windows users, but I have located a folder for java that is: Library\Caches\Java.

I have found the ext folder and put in the gpdraw.jar file, but I cannot find the docs\api folder where I am supposed to unzip the contents.

Note:

I have located "Library\Caches\Java\Cache\javapi" but I am not sure that is the directory I need to place the file in. Within the javapi folder, there is a v1.0 folder that contains the following folders:
ext
file
jar
tmp

Edit:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.7.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.