Dissatisfied with Apple's Response

Reaction score
Hi, Just wanted some advice if I can still seek redress on this matter.

In Jan 2009, I bought my 1st gen MacBook Air (80GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). From that time till the Sunday that just passed (23 Aug), I have sent the unit to the local service provider (I'm in Singapore) 4 times for repair, each time taking an entire work week to resolve the issue.

On Occasion 1, the symptom was the startup blue screen flickering between shades of blue. The logic board was replaced.

On Occasion 2, for the same symptom in #1, the fan was replaced.

On Occasion 3, the Airport Utility in the Menu Bar was showing "No Airport Card installed". The fix involved some rewiring and a PMU reset.

On Occasion 4, for the same symptom in #3, the airport card was replaced.

I can safely say that, save for the exterior parts of the Macbook Air, the entire unit has been replaced. In a way, that should be a good thing but given the number of times I have sent this in for repair and the amount of downtime I have had to endure, this is just unacceptable.

After I collected my MBA the 3rd time, I called Apple. They told me that since the issue is resolved, I should see if any other issue crops up, and if so, I should call them again.

Sure enough, I had to send the MBA in for a 4th time and this time, the Customer Relations rep told me that she would be in touch with the service provider. After some back and forth between the 2 of them, I managed to get my MBA repaired but the Apple rep didn't get back to me. I called her just moments ago and now she's saying that there's nothing Apple can do (I had asked for a replacement unit). She added that she understood my frustration and my low level of confidence in the unit and suggested I buy AppleCare warranty, also to call her when the MBA fails again.

The warranty on this unit is due Jan 2010 and I'm not sure I want to spend hundreds more just to have to send my MBA in for repair for free once the 1st year is up. This is just appalling. I want to know if this is all that I can do (until the MBA dies on me once more) or can I surface this to someone higher up the food chain?

Any advice please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it on up to a higher level. Be polite but at the same time insist on a new machine as it is possible your machine is a "lemon". I'm in the US and I'm fairly certain that Apple would replace the machine, however, since you're in Singapore, it might be different. Also, I would not under any circumstance buy an extended warranty for that machine. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Also, I would not under any circumstance buy an extended warranty for that machine.

I couldn't agree more. IMO you have been pretty patient thus far. Time to escalate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Be polite and persistent. I had issues with graphics on a Late 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz. After NUMEROUS repairs, they finally referred me to "Customer Satisfaction" (or something similarly named). In the end, I wound up with a new 2.53Ghz MacBook Pro which has given me no trouble. I did not have Applecare Extended Warranty, and all the issues were in the 1st 90 days of ownership. Good luck!

Reaction score
Somebody's got to be the unlucky "I got a dud computer" guy. sounds like you're it :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.