My File Structure - Correct?

Reaction score
Check my File Structure

Since day one, I have been “confused” by the OS X file structure. Once again, in my defense, I remind that I have spent the last 40 years dealing with MS-DOS.

How that things are up and running, and I’m getting the hang of Mac - I decided to dig a bit deeper into the file hierarchy. Still confused - in fact I am not sure my structure is correct.

At the top is [myname Macbook Pro] - containing Mac HD and Network.This may take some room - but here is the structure. Why does the Library file appear twice?

I still need to break down folders such as Excel, Word, Page, etc. further - but is this structure correct?

File Structure

RB’s Mac
Mac HD --- Applications
Net Downloaded
Library
System
User Guide
Users --------------- RB ----- Desktop SEE BELOW
Downloads
Household
Library
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Rescue Tool
Utilities

Documents

Excel Files
iChats
Madone SS
MS User Data
Movies/Videos --------- Divx Movies
Printer iMovie Projects
Numbers Files Real Play DL’s
Page Docs Veoh
PFD’s You Tube Downloads
Word Files

I still need to breakdown some Doc folders further - but does this look right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Looks right to me, you just need to keep to "YOUR NAME" folder for safety seeming your new, saving into these is fine.

When I switched years ago I was thrown by the way Applications got installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The "correct" file structure is whatever works for you.

The only things you don't want to mess with are the System and Library folders, and the name and location of the User folders. (If you need a different account name, create a new account in System Preferences and delete the old one.)

Aside from those files folders, you are absolutely free to move, rename, Trash, change the icons of, and otherwise mutilate your files as you see fit. (Except in Texas, where they've passed laws about this, but anyway.)

Sometimes, a program will stop working if you move certain files that it wasn't expecting you to move. That's okay. That's how you learn about things. (A Time Machine backup helps here.) Other times, programs will re-create files that have been moved or deleted that they can't find.

99% of the time, again excepting those files used by the System, it really doesn't matter what you do with your fiiles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The things like Library appearing twice is quite normal. Library under the root folder (looking at the finder, it's the one that appears if you open Macintosh HD) are global preferences and settings for apps.

The Library that appears under your user name is your personal folder that contains data and configurations specific to your account. Things like Calendar Data, your personal configuration data for keyboard, mouse settings, mobile me information, etc.

Both Libraries supply specific functions, so you don't want to delete one of them thinking you don't need it.

There is a base file structure that OSX expects to see - beyond that you're pretty free to do what you want. As you're coming from a DOS/Windows environment, think of it as similar to windows in the that windows expects to find certain things in certain places and if you just go blindly removing or moving base folders/files or it can cause windows to not function correctly.

Basically - don't be moving or deleting files or folders unless you know what it may or may not do to your system.

Under your personal directory, feel free to add folders under Documents, Downloads, your personal home directory, etc.

If you want to get a better feel for the system, and haven't already gotten it, I strongly suggest you look into getting:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596529529): David Pogue: Books

as I think it'll really help your understanding of the OS. I saw it in a bookstore ages ago, and when I first switched to Mac, and was reading posts saw that it was highly recommended, and bought it and it has been a tremendous help in the switch.

OP
R
Reaction score
Since day one, I have had some problems understanding the Mac file hierrarchy. 40 years of MS-DOS. Now that things are running along pretty well - I decided to dig a little deeper into the files. Following is my file structure. Why do I have two library files and two download files?

RD's Macbook Pro
Mac HD -------
Network
Applications
Downloads
Library
System
User Guides
Users --------------RB ---------
Shared
Desktop
Documents (see below)
Downloads
Household
Library
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Rescue Tool
Sites
Utilities
WP Files
You Tube Downloads

Documents -------
EXCEL Files
iChats
Madone SS
Microsoft User Data
Movies/Video -------------------
Printer
NUMBERS Files
PAGE Files
PFD's
WORD Files
Divx Movies
iMovie Porjects
Real Player DL's
Veoh
YouTube DL's

I still need to breakdown some folders into more meaningful ones - but why the two Library and Download Folders? My DL folder under Mac HD is empty - all go to the one users. Lastly, in the Applications folder are some folders relating to mostly downloaded apps. Could I move those folders out of Apps and into a new folder at the same structure level?

Does this look correct or do I have some duplicates or other errors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity - as your previous post - http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/163766-check-my-file-structure.html is on this near about identical topic - why did you repost instead of replying to your original post to which several people supplied you with more information? It's really hard to help when, instead of continuing a thread with appropriate commentary and understanding of what has been provided, you start a new thread on the same topic, except now you seem to have added folders to the root of your hard drive folder structure.

Please, read the responses in the other threads, and then if you are still having problems wrapping your head around them (which is understandable when you come from a very different OS structure), ask continuing questions about what you're not understanding to help us better help you.

The forums and the users here really are wonderful resources, but it's hard to help when there is a lack of feedback on the original question...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Rbosely, I too have noticed that you don't seem to follow up on your posts.

You actually have three Library folders at different levels of operation.

From Library Folders - Switch To A Mac Guides:

"The /System/Library holds files that OS X needs to operate and function. These are some files tied to the operation an inner workings of the Mac OS X operating system. You shouldn't modify the contents of this folder.

The /Library folder contains files available to ALL users and applications running on OS X. These are shared and common files. For example, fonts and printer settings. This folder can be modified by the Administrative user. This is the folder where third-party software and applications place the support files that they need to operate.

The /Users/<short name of user> folder is user specific and holds files and settings as they relate to a user's individual's preferences, recent items, web site bookmarks, Address Book entries, keychain, Widgets, and so on."

Not sure about the Downloads folder, as I only have one in my home folder, not one under Macintosh HD. Is this how things are listed in your Finder? You either have an extra Downloads folder or you are mistaking a shortcut in the Finder for a second one.

What do you mean by breaking down folders into more meaningful ones? You can always create a new folder, name it, and place it wherever you want.

What do you mean you have folders in your Applications folder that relate to downloaded apps? Do you mean you want additional apps that you download from the internet to go into a different and separate location? Not sure why you'd want to do that in any case.

Reaction score
It would be helpful to see the structure above what Finder shows, i.e. what you can see from the terminal. I'd like to understand the relationship between the full structure and what Finder shows. TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be helpful to see the structure above what Finder shows, i.e. what you can see from the terminal. I'd like to understand the relationship between the full structure and what Finder shows. TIA

That may be a little more then he might be prepared to grasp as more folders will show under terminal then in finder by default as the default prefs make system and special folders hidden from the end user (ie: Volumes, bin, cores, sbin, etc.) Since the OP is already having some difficulty wrapping his head around the basic file structure shown in Finder - having him look at terminal to see a bunch of extra folders might throw him for a loop.

Reaction score
That may be a little more then he might be prepared to grasp as more folders will show under terminal then in finder by default as the default prefs make system and special folders hidden from the end user (ie: Volumes, bin, cores, sbin, etc.) Since the OP is already having some difficulty wrapping his head around the basic file structure shown in Finder - having him look at terminal to see a bunch of extra folders might throw him for a loop.
Agreed. I was really suggesting it as something that would help me. A thread hijack I suppose.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Actually I was not aware that I ever got the post posted. I had it formatted with indentions so that you could better understand it. Then when I previewed it - everything was left justified. And I certainly didn't mean to post it twice.

What I meant by breaking down - was say putting several subfolders under the PAGES folder to describe the subject of the document.

I still have several data files yet to bring over from the Dell. I wanted to make sure I understood first.

So - sorry for the poor post and repost. I guess I have the picture now - except video and movie downloads which need some rework.

If you are still with me, is there a way to save pictures directly from a web page? In Windows, right clicking over a pic gave the option to save pic as.

And, may as well ask - how do I get to the terminal? Thanks again all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You might be overcomplicating things, rbosely. Files work more or less the same way they do in Windows. You can create as many subfolders within folders as you want. Things just LOOK a little different in the Finder, but you can change it to look a little more like Windows.

Saving pictures is also pretty much the same. Just right click and choose "Save Image As" or you can drag it directly from a web page into a folder.

If you're not sure if one of your posts went through, just go to your profile and there'll be a list of your threads and posts. Did you ever see the video I made for you concerning Finder options?

YouTube - Mac OS X Finder Basics

OP
R
Reaction score
Oneironaut - Thanks tons for the video - very well done and instructive.

Sorry I didn't see it before. I most likely over do things - just my nature.

Due to circumstances beyond my control - I have had to approach this switch to Mac - a little now and a little later. Have not had the time to sit by the hour as I would normally do and figure things out.

Very much appreciate the input of all. Especially to respond to a post I didn't mean to post. :( :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's cool, just be sure to track your posts from your profile page and let me know if you want to make any more videos for you! I love making them.

OP
R
Reaction score
My previous ref to Apps Folder

Perhaps I can bump this up a notch or two - disregard the username. I have since explained by dumb question of file structure. This one may be as bad.

In the Apps folder - I can seem to get it out of my head - than only apps should be there. (Like only exe files in Windows). But I have folders which I presume to be related and required by the app.

For example, I just downloaded a YouTube Downloader. The actually runnin app is called YTD.jar - but there are there other files within the folder - I pulled the YTD out. Couldn't the folder with the other files live someplace else? I can exteriment - but this is what I was getting at. One folder, named Utilities I assume should be in there. I have my printer setup folder. Also Dvix, flip4mac.

I presume all this "stuff in my head" is a direct of my DOS days when every single file needed to be in a specific place.

I'll do a Time Machine the "play" with moving some of this stuff around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, no matter what you do, back up with Time Machine in case you do something wrong. But I think the file structure is much simpler than with DOS in that relevant files and folders aren't scattered all over the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Perhaps I can bump this up a notch or two - disregard the username. I have since explained by dumb question of file structure. This one may be as bad.

In the Apps folder - I can seem to get it out of my head - than only apps should be there. (Like only exe files in Windows). But I have folders which I presume to be related and required by the app.

For example, I just downloaded a YouTube Downloader. The actually runnin app is called YTD.jar - but there are there other files within the folder - I pulled the YTD out. Couldn't the folder with the other files live someplace else? I can exteriment - but this is what I was getting at. One folder, named Utilities I assume should be in there. I have my printer setup folder. Also Dvix, flip4mac.

I presume all this "stuff in my head" is a direct of my DOS days when every single file needed to be in a specific place.

I'll do a Time Machine the "play" with moving some of this stuff around.
You can move pretty much any App anywhere, but some will only function properly if they reside in the Apps folder. The other folders can probably go elsewhere, but why? One of the nice things about the Mac is bits and pieces of Apps don't get thrown hither and yon throughout the system, they pretty much all stay in the Apps folder, with the exception of preference files. If an App puts another folder inside the Apps folder when it installs, at least you know where everything is.

Divx and Flip4Mac are Apps and the Utilities folder needs to stay where it is.

One other thing to keep in mind, and this is a big difference from Windows, is that those "Apps", while like .exe files are much more. They are actually packages that contain all of those files that Windows throws hither and you throughout the system (like .dll files and things in the Windows registry) as well as the code that actually runs the App. This is why, for the most part, deleting an App is as easy as dragging it to the trash and deleting it. The most you'll be left with is a few prefs files.

Reaction score
Documents -------
EXCEL Files
iChats
Madone SS
Microsoft User Data
Movies/Video -------------------
Printer
NUMBERS Files
PAGE Files
PFD's
WORD Files
Divx Movies
iMovie Porjects
Real Player DL's
Veoh
YouTube DL's

Does this look correct or do I have some duplicates or other errors?

As others have stated, it's really up to you. I use an organization like this:

Documents
-------Work
-------------Projects
------------------Proj1
-------------Mgt
-------------other top-level work folders as necessary
--------Home
-------------soccer
-------------photography
-------------Mac stuff
-------------Linux stuff
-------------Windows stuff
-------------etc, etc, etc

I suggest you check out smart folders if you want to view your files by file type rather than grouped by purpose.

Also, I make extensive use of shortcuts in the sidebar to limit the amount of time spent browsing around the file system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.