Hard drive question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.
I have a G5 2.5ghz Quad that I'm going to have to sell (I've had a stay in hospital and I'm off work for 10 weeks so I need to raise some cash) ....

Anyway, I have a 2nd HD in my machine and I was wondering if I could just pull this out of my Mac and then installing it in my new machine once I start work again ....

Would any of the files on there be damaged doing it this way or would it be better to buy an external HD, copy all of the stuff that I need to keep from my Mac onto that. Then just format both drives and sell the machine with both of the drives installed in it ??

There are no applications installed on the 2nd drive, just photos, dmg's etc...

Thanks in advance,

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would go the external hard drive route. Even if you were to pull the second hard drive from the machine unless you were planning on buying a Mac Pro, how would you use it? You might have to place it in an external carrier in order to use it - assuming you bought a MacBook or MBP.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I have a 2nd HD in my machine and I was wondering if I could just pull this out of my Mac and then installing it in my new machine once I start work again ....

Would any of the files on there be damaged doing it this way or would it be better to buy an external HD, copy all of the stuff that I need to keep from my Mac onto that. Then just format both drives and sell the machine with both of the drives installed in it ??

There are no applications installed on the 2nd drive, just photos, dmg's etc...

Thanks in advance,

Paul

You could remove the 2nd hard drive as you mentioned...but installing it into your new computer would depend on what computer you end up purchasing.

- If you ended up purchasing a new iMac..iMacs only hold one hard drive.
- If you ended up purchasing a laptop...this hard drive won't fit in a laptop.
- If you ended up purchasing a Mac Pro, then you could probably install it in the Mac Pro.

In any case, you would not be damaging any files by removing the hard drive.

If you decide later on to not buy a Mac Pro (a computer you could install this removed hard drive into)...you could always buy an external hard drive case & install the hard drive from the G5 into it.

Also...if you sell your G5 with two hard drives...I doubt that you will get much more money for the G5.

So my vote is remove the hard drive with the photos, dmg's, etc. Any see what happens later.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.
Thanks guys ..... I would be looking at getting a new Mac Pro once I'm back at work so I'll just remove the drive ...

stay cool,

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks guys ..... I would be looking at getting a new Mac Pro once I'm back at work so I'll just remove the drive ...

stay cool,

Paul

Nice...a new Mac Pro sounds great!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.