Can't boot into OS X

Reaction score
Hi, I was asked to by someone if i could reinstall the mac osx onto their mac book pro because somebody else had installed windows xp on it, he also gave me some mac book pro version 10.4.8 installation disks that he had borrowed from a friend, i tried using the disk to install the mac osx while holding c (as it said to on the disk). This failed, everytime i put the disk in it would keep restarting itself, not booting windows or installing mac. I took the disk out and after it restarted itself again it loaded windows xp. I asked my mom's friend about the problem and he said that i should try pressing the option button to bring up bootcamp at startup and select the mac osx. I did just that and there was one hard drive picture that said windows xp underneath it, the other picture was a picture of a cd and it said mac osx install disk underneath it, clicking the install disk just made it go on it's frenzy where it keeps restarting itself. I think some ******* must have removed the mac osx completely but i dont know what to do because i am a complete mac noob and this is my first encounter with macbook pros and operating systems. Any help in helping me install mac again would be deeply aprreciated !! :D

Reaction score
Do you have access to another Mac or an external drive with MacOS X on it?

OP
A
Reaction score
unfortunateley not but i can get a hardrive tommorow and i have a .dmg image for mac osx on my pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bet they are the silver grey model specific discs and not full retail install DVD? These discs are very much model specific only and a MBP disc will not install on a MB.

Your friend may have to go out and buy Leopard OS X.5 full retail disc.

Reaction score
Bet they are the silver grey model specific discs and not full retail install DVD? These discs are very much model specific only and a MBP disc will not install on a MB.

Your friend may have to go out and buy Leopard OS X.5 full retail disc.
Or wait and get the Snow Leopard installation disk. $49 isn't it?

OP
A
Reaction score
hmm thanks, but if i put the image file onto my hard drive would i have to delete everything else and just hav the image on for it to install the full retail image??

Reaction score
hmm thanks, but if i put the image file onto my hard drive would i have to delete everything else and just hav the image on for it to install the full retail image??
Good question. I've never used that method because I've got my Mac hard drive partitioned and a backup copy on the internal drive and an external FireWire drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
if my friend got the snow leopard disk when it came out would he just pop it in and it would work, or will the disk not be model specific?

Reaction score
if my friend got the snow leopard disk when it came out would he just pop it in and it would work, or will the disk not be model specific?
A retail disk would work. OEM disks are system-specific.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The retail discs are not model specific. The only discs that are model specific are the ones that come with a machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
does any1 know how to burn a .dmg image onto a dual layer disk? i tried transmac but it didnt work, i also tried changing the file name to .iso and burning it with nero but all that did was save a .nrg image. i really need to burn a boot disc successfully any help??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.