iChat Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I just tried to do an audio chat with someone on AIM. However, whenever I'd invite him, he wouldn't get anything, and whenever he'd invite me, I wouldn't get anything. He says that using AIM, it says I'm not available for audio chat. My microphone is turned on in the iChat software. I am using a brand new 17" Powerbook,with the built in microphone. He has the newest version of AIM. (he's on a pc). We are both in high speed connections. Any ideas?

My SN is an AOL name: Saxyguy1215
You are all welcome to IM me.

J

Jefe3223

I had this problem with pc people also. My theory is that it just doesn't work well between us and them. If you ever find out how to beat this problem, let me know.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
also, does anybody know if you can have "linked" screen names with iChat or the AIM mac version? I know you can with AIM for PC you can, and I can't figure out how to do it on mac. I ask as I have three AIM names.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, you can with the pc version of AIM, but I can't figure out how to do it on Mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That linked screen name thing is something pretty new. I do not remember seeing it even a few versions of AIM back. I don't think any chat client besides AIM is going to support that, at least not right now. I know that Trillian on the PC does not with the last version I downloaded of Pro and I have not seen that option on any Mac client either. It may come in the future if AOL allows it. Right now the only way on the Mac I know is use Ichat for one, Adium for another, Fire for another. Works but lots of clients running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
rs2sensen said:
I just tried to do an audio chat with someone on AIM. However, whenever I'd invite him, he wouldn't get anything, and whenever he'd invite me, I wouldn't get anything. He says that using AIM, it says I'm not available for audio chat. My microphone is turned on in the iChat software. I am using a brand new 17" Powerbook,with the built in microphone. He has the newest version of AIM. (he's on a pc). We are both in high speed connections. Any ideas?

My SN is an AOL name: Saxyguy1215
You are all welcome to IM me.

This is a firewall port issue. The Apple site has a good document on it about what ports need to be opened. If you have a linksys (or other) brand router (Wi-Fi hub, etc...) then you will need to open up the ports used for Audio & Video chatting. The Apple Airport Express and Extreme work right out of the box.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Forgot to mention, the ports must be open on both ends...you friend has to configure his too. In fact, if you have all Apple hardware on your end, then the problem is 99% on his end. All the problems I ever had with the audio & video not working with a friend on a PC was on their end, either a software firewall on their computer, or their router.

J

Jefe3223

dtravis7 said:
That linked screen name thing is something pretty new. Right now the only way on the Mac I know is use Ichat for one, Adium for another, Fire for another. Works but lots of clients running.

I think you're right. I know you can have multiple screen names on adium, but i think you can only switch between them, not run 'em together.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks

Thanks for the help. I followed Apple's directions and went into the firewall settings to open up the ports for iChat. I havn't been able to test this yet, as my friend who is set up w/ a camera and microphone hasn't been online since I've done this.

One quick question though. He never got the invites from me for an audio and/or video chat. Would this have been blocked by the firewall? He can recieve other type invitations. When I'd chat w/ him on pc, he could recieve invitations for say, a buddy chat or that kind of thing.

I am currently away from home and am connected by ethernet to a Direcway sattelite internet modem. (when I'm home, I'm on wifi through a router w/ verizon DSL). He may or may not be on a wifi setup, but he also has DSL, so its being run through a router somehow. The apple site didn't really say what ports he, on a pc, would have to have opened up. Does anybody have any idea what these would be, or what settings he would have to change?

I have given up on the idea of linked screen names for the Mac, I've been online with two of my three names by using iChat and AIM. Maybe I'll download a 3rd software program later. I'm not in a huge hurry, as I can't use my webcam, as it is too old. The software that came with it (which must run in the OS 9 environment) just installed an Adobe Photoshop plugin w/ no drivers or anything. and when I install the photo editing software that came w/ it (I do have the entire Adobe Creative Suite, so this wasn't all that necessary), I get the message that there is an error with the installer. So, until I can find soem sort of Mac drivers for my cam (or buy another one)m I can't do vid chat anyways (although audio would still be nice).

By the way, I really love how my Powerbook starts announcing error messages with "it's not my fault!" Now, if they can only get those voices to sound a bit more lifelike, it will be really funny!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, and I just noticed my firewall was off on my end anyways. is it worth turning this on w/ a mac?

M

meltbanana314

rs2sensen said:
o, and I just noticed my firewall was off on my end anyways. is it worth turning this on w/ a mac?

EVERY computer should have a firewall, be it Windows-based, Linux/BSD or Mac based.

If it's not on, turn it on!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I did. I was just curious as to the thoughts of other posters

Reaction score
GLJones said:
This is a firewall port issue. The Apple site has a good document on it about what ports need to be opened. If you have a linksys (or other) brand router (Wi-Fi hub, etc...) then you will need to open up the ports used for Audio & Video chatting. The Apple Airport Express and Extreme work right out of the box.

Jerry
The problem I am having is that i hook up with my buddy and I can hear him perfectly but he can't hear me.

Any idea what I am doing wrong. i seem to have all my stuff turned on...built in mic etc. I'm runnig a PB G4...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.