Macbook constant kernal panics

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new. I came here after hours of constant google searching with no avail.

My Macbook has suffered this problem since I bought it in late 2008. It was never really a problem, it happened very occasionally, but not its so bad it can happen a few times per day.

I enjoy my games. I was excitied when I saw Apple included NVidia cards into the new macbooks. Of course, I bought one.

My macbook however, doesn't like anything more graphical than surfing the web.

During games, even not-so-heavy games (Like the old warcraft III, which is pretty light compared to CoD4), my macbook sometimes freezes, repeating the last half a second of audio. Ocasionally, upon restart, I will get an error saying "The computer has been restarted after Mac OS crashed unexpectedly", meaning a kernal panic according to the report. This does not happen every time however.
Once, I even had it freeze during the iTunes Visulizer.

I've tried everything, such as propping up my computer on a cake cooling rack to maximise airflow, but that does not work.
I've also reset the PRAM but that didn't help at all.

I've tried everything except taking it in. I'd like to try to fix it without a hefty repair bill replacing something I don't need to replace.

Any suggestions will be great. I really hate it when playing CoD4 with my friends I have to restart...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Firstly you should get your install discs and run Disk Utility. Check and repair permissions, and then verify your HD.
This may well sort everything out, and it doesn't appear that you have done this yet.
If you have my apologies, but that is the basic starting point for you. If that doesn't help we will go into more detail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Your Mac is still on warranty. Take it in to have a Apple Genius determine what is wrong. You can go through all the tests, but in the end, you'll end up taking it in. Cut your losses. This happened to me and the Genius found the logic board was bad including the video controller. There are several threads on this forum on this exact subject.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi guys. I'm new. I came here after hours of constant google searching with no avail.

My Macbook has suffered this problem since I bought it in late 2008. It was never really a problem, it happened very occasionally, but not its so bad it can happen a few times per day.

I'm not really sure why you would put up with this problem for so long. You have a warranty, so use it. Eventually the warranty will runout...and then you will be left with a partially functional laptop.

Get to the Apple Store ASAP!

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I dug my install disk out of the cupboard and ran a disk permissions repair and disk repair and the problem still persists.
I think I will take it into the Apple store this weekend and see what they say.

Thank you for the replies everyone, much obliged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.