I want to switch but I am a bit unsure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
Hi guys I am new in this forum. If I open this thread in wrong place,sorry. I am going to buy a new laptop but I am unsure this will be pc or macbook pro. I have been using windows for 12 years from windows 98 to windows 7. However, I want to switch to mac. I want to buy macbook pro 15'' 2.66 or 2.8 ghz model. After 12 years experience of windows, is it going to be hard for me to get used to? For a newbie, is it hard to learn macintosh operating system? How long does it take? I will buy ,if I decide, macbook pro after snow leopard has been released. Will I feel regret after I have switched to macintosh? Please help me

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The two OS' are indeed different, but in time you should be able to figure out how to use Mac and be happy doing it. The greater question is what kind of thing you'd be using the Mac for.

I recently began using a Mac having used a PC with Windows & Linux for a long time. I'm very comfortable with Unix-like terminals and commands, so that's no biggie. I'm just finding myself spending time learning to do things the Mac way. :)

For the first week or two I was completely confused by the most basic actions. Now some 4 months later, I can manage to do most of what I want but still come across some tips that allow me to do things better...

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Ironically, I've found that the people that have used computers the most (and most of those computers having run Windows) seem to be the most thrown by the "Mac way," but in essence, you shouldn't really worry about it. Sure, it may take a week or two to get used to things, but so does everything that changes--the hard Windows ways of doing things are difficult to forget. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
You won't regret it! Since I switched to Mac, I can do things faster, easier, and better than I used to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
For me it is all about stability, (OSX from Win) I left the PC for a Mac just one short month ago, been happy ever since. If it is the learning curve you are reluctant about, I wouldn't let that bother you. There are a lot of folks in here that made the same move --- years ago. Just my .02

Reaction score
If you get stuck, all the help you need is out there.

the hardest thing, perhaps, is getting used to the new key-combinations.
but there's a whole list ready for you whenever you need to check, right in the "control panel" ready for reading/altering :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
I wouldn't listen to that bit about 4 months, I'm a longtime PC user who recently switched and the learning curve is virtually non-existant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Switched one year ago and not one single regret!
Only took a few days to get used to all the "essentials". Only took a few minutes to start using applications and browsing.

The people who don't like the switch are those that want to make their Mac function the same way as their Windows machine did. Why do things the hard way? Macs are set up to be as easy as possible on the user. Just learn how it works, use it that way, and of course there may be a thing or two you absolutely HAVE to have a certain/different way and you'll find out how to customize that. But all in all, go into it with an open mind.

Be sure to read the helpful "stickys" in this forum to make your adjustment easier and smoother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Im in IT, and most of my networks are MS/Linux based.

I made the plunge into the Mac world in June this year.

Since then I have made numerous 'how-to' vids, and even written a script in Unix to automatically sort exported iPhoto photos into correct folders!

It took me a day to get totally used to to main differences, so no 'biggie'.

You will be totally happy if you switched. I cannot wait to get home from work to use the Mac, Windows feels so much inferior as a end user machine. Dare I say it, Windows feels like a Ford Focus, where the Mac feels like an Audi R8.

r.d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" unibody Macbook 2ghz 160gb. 2020 MacBook Pro M1 256gb. IPhone SE 2020
hi,im new here too.i switched to mac on saturday when i ditched my vista laptop for a macbook.sorry for swearing lol i wish i'd done it years ago now.im not a big user but from my experiences so far i'd recommend a mac to anybody.im never going back to the darkside...ever ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
thank you for your replies friends. I really want to switch. I hate Microsoft and its operating system. I hate virüs,bsod,not responding windows. I hate everything of windows. Which one do you recommend for me? whether 2.66ghz macbook pro or 2.8 ghz macbook pro. I will use my computer for internet,some students works,for movie and downloads.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thank you for your replies friends. I really want to switch. I hate Microsoft and its operating system. I hate virüs,bsod,not responding windows. I hate everything of windows. Which one do you recommend for me? whether 2.66ghz macbook pro or 2.8 ghz macbook pro. I will use my computer for internet,some students works,for movie and downloads.

I think the 2.66 will be overkill for your needs to start with. But just to be clear, all computers experience the occasional hiccups. If it's more than that though and you're just ready for a different experience, then the Mac would be a good choice.

Reaction score
Earlier this year i took my first leap into the mac world with a new macbook and since then ive grown to love the mac way of it all. EVERYTHING is faster, easier and better. Just earlier this month i replaced my desktop pc with a new imac and now i no longer have a windows platform computer. Its so much better than windows in every way possible IMO. Take the leap and im sure you wont regret it but wander what took you so long like i did

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
In fact, there are not many differences between 2.66 and 2.8 ghz models. While 2.66 has 320gb hdd , 2.8 has 500gb hdd. While 2.66 has 3mb cache , 2.8 has 6mb cache. And finally, 2.66 has 256mb ddr3 graphics memory, but 2.8 has 512mb ddr3. And here is my questions. Is 320gb hdd is enough? Is there huge difference between 3mb cache and 6mb cache as performance? I wont use my computer to play games. However; I am addictive of football manager and sims. Can I play these games with 256mb graphics memory of 2.66 model?

P.S: I am sorry for my bad english

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
If you get stuck, all the help you need is out there.

the hardest thing, perhaps, is getting used to the new key-combinations.
but there's a whole list ready for you whenever you need to check, right in the "control panel" ready for reading/altering :)

What do you mean, new key combos? The only thing that changes is it's not control, it's command. :p They're all pretty close other than that. But even besides that, the key combos are all customizable so you can make them whatever you want... they are the way they are though because the keyboard and key commands in OS X are optimized for comfort and ease.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
i switched to mac just 2 n a half weeks back ... after 2 decades of pc and trust me.. i wish i had done this long back. There is definitely a learning curve - especially if you gone into the nitty gritties of your pc and made it work faster for u ... but overall there is an enormous amount of time saving. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.