Upgrading (white) MacBook HD. Need Advice

Reaction score
Hi,

With the help of Mac Forums I recently upgraded my RAM to 4GB and am now looking to upgrade my Hard Drive

I have a question regarding RPM

I don't want to create to much heat in my MacBook, would getting a 7200 RMP create a lot of excessive heat. (I do browse the net a lot on my Mac Book so the drive would just be idling then?)

I also work with video quite a lot, would I see a performance increate working with a 7200 RPM drive over a 5400 RPM drive

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this for me

-Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I upgraded my 5400rpm HDD to a 7200rpm HDD on my MacBook Pro this weekend.

There is no extra heat, or noise for that matter.

There is a noticeable difference in read/write speeds. It boots up quicker, and applications load much quicker. PS CS4 is up very quickly now!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Chrismac

Has anyone else got similar experiences?

I am looking at getting a 320GB or 500GB Hard Drive can anyone give me any recommendations based on there experiences please?

Thanks for helping me out with my situation

Many Thanks

-Adam

Reaction score
depends how much you're going to be storing on there.

You say you work with video a lot ... if it's A LOT of video, you'll probably want 500GB. If you don't need that much, go with 360.

There is always the possibility of using an external drive :)

Reaction score
If you're going to spend the time and money, mine as well go with the 500gb.

I bought mine from bestbuy, in case I had any issues, didn't like it, etc. There is no restocking fee at bestbuy. But I did pay about $15 more than I would If I had just went on newegg.

Reaction score
if money is not an issue, go for SSD
It is lighter, consume less electricity, no noise, faster and no worry about heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.